XLR Parts Online Distributor

Edrick

Premium Member
Hey,

I'm looking for some XLR Parts and other Audio / Video parts. I could get them from my local supply house I'm sure but certain items they have to special order. So I'm wondering if any of you guys use an online distributor. I'm looking for things like Neutrik XLR ends, 2 3 4 gang or port XLR Wall Plates, VGA Wall Plates, DVI, etc...Along with bulk XLR cable for studio / in wall installations.

I use Mouser for jacks and plugs, and Markertek for wall plates.

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk.

Ah Markertek I forgot about them I was recommended them a while back. I'll check them out and Mouser. Holy smokes though Markertek want's 50 bucks for a 1 port XLR wall plate? Does that seem like a reasonable price?

Thanks Bill that'd be great, I'm looking to start getting more installations for Audio / Video / Data / Voice. So that's why I'm looking for these parts. Do you just order your parts from a local supply house or direct from the distributor? I'd love to buy some parts from you but I wouldn't want to keep pestering you in the future with more and more orders (unless that's something you do anyways).

Thanks Bill that'd be great, I'm looking to start getting more installations for Audio / Video / Data / Voice. So that's why I'm looking for these parts. Do you just order your parts from a local supply house or direct from the distributor? I'd love to buy some parts from you but I wouldn't want to keep pestering you in the future with more and more orders (unless that's something you do anyways).

Don't worry about being a pest . . . I love to talk shop.

If you are doing just a bit of it then maybe you can set up some arrangement with a larger local AV contractor. If you are ordering large quantities then it may at some point become an issue of whether it makes sense to become a dealer for some of the products so that you can purchase direct.

When I worked for a large contractor we still had accounts with Mouser, RS Electronics, Newark, etc. because you always ended up with someone that needed parts on a project located a distance from any of our offices and these companies had warehouses in most cities.

Last edited:
I bought some Hole-Punches, The kind where you drill a 3/8 inch hole through the metal, then a shell goes on one side and a cutter goes on the other side, then you thread a screw through it all and use a wrench to pull the cutter through into the shell.

You will need 3 sizes: 3/4, 15/16 and 1 inch. I have been making custom snake cables and wall plates for years with mine.

I also have the punches for standard 1/2 and 3/4 inch conduit fittings. This helps you to put strain reliefs into plug boxes.

Last edited:
...What would you recommend for in wall / permeant install for XLR connections in terms of cabling. I'd like to order a spool plus a basic assortment of wall plates depending on cost.

Would this be the cabling I'd want to run through conduit for XLR? http://www.redco.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?search=yes&bc=no&CatalogId=656
The Gepco cable would likely be fine. See also the threads http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/sound-music-intercom/19668-audio-install.html and http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/sound-music-intercom/16984-belden-8451-vs-5500fe-wire.html. Belden 9451 is preferred by many.

I buy that exact cable from Redco quite often. I have never used it for installations, but I use it for wiring racks and making cable adapters. Good stuff.

Just a reminder that the some of considerations for installation cables may be different than those for home studios, portable cordage, etc. Factors such as in-wall/riser/plenum ratings, ease of pulling through conduit and so on are often much more critical in installed applications. I personally have been specifying primarily low capacitance, AES rated cable for mic and line runs as it stands to be a little more flexible in potential application.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back