Mixers/Consoles Yamaha LS-9 crashing

AudJ

We have had our LS-9 for 4 years now, and has been working flawlessly, until a couple of months ago when we had some work done on the sound system, the board started crashing. The only change to the board was changing power from an APS Battery Backup to a Furman Powerport.

The board suddenly goes into initialilization while I use, without warning. It has happened 2 times in 2 months.

Are there any issues that could be caused by the sequenced power conditioner? Maybe a random drop in power on that circuit? I'm totally guessing here. any thoughts would be appreciated.

If you LS9 is that master clock for anything, you'll want it powered on first in sequence. Other than that, some digital boards are finicky with regards to their AC power needs and don't do well when power fluctuates too greatly. It might be that other gear had an inrush current that drops the other outlets' power enough to cause a brownout or blackout. You could check by using a multimeter with logging capability set to lock onto the minimum detected voltage.

Also, why the change from a UPS to a sequenced "power conditioner"? Dead battery? Too pricey to get a new one?

The APS was intended for the lighting board when obtained. Light board and monitor were running from it already, although still well within limits. Went to the Furman so we could sequence the power to avoid sending power-up-pops into our new speakers. APS still present on light board.

I could plug it back into the APS, but I would need suggestions how to protect the speakers. APS is 15 amp, and the Furman is 20 amp, so I can't just send it through. Maybe worth a 15 amp furman contact closure unit to draw from the APS? It wouldn't surprise me if there a was a power draw issue that the battery back-up avoided these past few years...

We are not using the clock, but the LS-9 is the first thing in sequence.
I'll work on getting a meter on it while rebuilding lost parts of our show running next week. Is there a better way to set up power?

Last edited:
Plug the UPS into the Furman, it'll be fine. Nothing is actually drawing 15A-20A, and by throwing the UPS on the 20A breaker you've just sufficiently added in 5A of headroom on the power. It's the other direction you want to watch out for, the possibility of drawing 20A on a 15A circuit -- either way even if you did end up passing more than 15A through the UPS all it'll do is beep for a bit to let you know that the batteries can't handle it in the event of a blackout. A 15A cap would get you less than 5 minutes of battry backup, what I would consider an average load for a console and a few pieces of outboard coming in at around 4.5A load on a UPS1500VA will only get you roughly 15-18 minutes.
You'll really be wanting the UPS if the power ever goes out, your speakers will come back on rather instantly but they'll be waiting on the audio console for a good 45 seconds to a minute.

My suspicion is that your console is just being a digital console. Make sure the firmware is completely up to date. Hold down the scene memory key next time you turn it on and initialize all the memories and erase all the data. It'll delete your files, but it can sometimes help other issues.

Yes. Actually happened again today. I tried pulling the USB drive out and reloading, and that worked. I hope it doesn't happen in the middle of tonight's 25th anniversary show! It is a big deal.

Don't forget you can always contact Yamaha Commercial Audio's support line:
  • Phone: 1-866-211-9366, Please call Monday – Friday, between 8:30AM – 12:00 PM PST/PDT and from 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM PST/PDT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back