Yeah... this CD burner hates me...

photoatdv

Sitting at a gig... my job's to set up the kit then run the CD burner while someone else mixes. So the higher ups say we don't need to check the CD burner pre-show. Well today one disc errors out 5 seconds into the recording. While I'm debating what to do about that #2 errors out. Okay, strange, quick swap a disc... it errors out but bad disc starts recording??? Then both error out. Quick new CDs in each... both error out within a few minutes. At this point since we've missed a bunch of the show give up on making it work for show (sure wish I had a something to 1/8" adapter with me... course then I'd be doing a live recording onto my laptop instead of goofing off on CB).

Now have even given up with troubleshooting the gear... it'll have to wait for our recording system tech. They definitely didn't cover this in the training (and I'm a lights tech!)! Manual for CD burner doesn't have a troubleshooting section..... helpful!

EDIT: Well found out it may have been a new pack of CDs we were using today... so that may have been the problem. Or it could be the new CD burner... this is all new gear that was only on like it's second gig. Just finished writing the report about it. I didn't think about I should have looked at the report from the last event while I was at the office. I'm going to be REALLY upset if it turns out this happened on the gig friday night and they didn't bother to call someone (of the boss variety) at home to report this before today's event.

Last edited:
I becoming less thrilled with recording to CD these days. We do primary and backup recording at my church and in our recording room our primary is computer and the backup is CD. At FOH (for services that don't have a recording board op) we had CD primary and tape backup. As a primary at FOH, CD burning became too unreliable, so we switched to compact flash primary and CD backup. We're still having occasional CD errors, but as a backup we're okay with it. As a side note, our Marantz PMD-580 Compact Flash/Network recorder is absolutely awesome.

we used to have a CD recorder at my high school. it got to the point where we just hauled the g5 mac (before we got our iMac) around and recorded onto that and left the recorder in the cage to collect dust. turns out it was better at that than recording :grin:

Oh my gosh... this is great. It didn't work Friday night... just never got passed along to today's team. So you know we could have swapped it out or recorded onto say a computer if anyone had known. Instead I looked like a fool standing there saying it didn't work and I don't know why. I think an adapter to record to my laptop will now be part of my personal kit for these gigs...

And oh yeah... this is not a high school recording set-up. This is a professional set-up... like 30 grand recording gear.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back