Audio professionals, what did you major in?

Audio Professionals, what did you major in?

• Acting/ Theatre Performance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Technical Theatre/ Theatre Production and Design

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • General Theatre/Drama

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Liberal Arts-- History, Political Science, Psychology, ect

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Sciences

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Engineering

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Other Art-- Music, Dance, Film

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other... anything that won't fit into these categories...

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters

photoatdv

That pretty much sums up the question. I've posted one for lighting also, so let's keep votes to audio (or at least partially audio) professionals. I'm curious because of the recent thread about what to major in. I'm going to try to make the poll anonymous, and then if anyone cares to share more details please post too...

Thanks everyone!

My bachelor's degree is in Electrical Engineering, and now I'm at grad school for the same. 'Course, I skew towards the highly technical side of sound and wireless.

Im looking to doing a degree in tecnical theata and most corses in that cover all aspects of backstage theata sound,lighting, stage design, costume makeing ect.

Technically my major was engineering, but I don't consider it as such. My school had an Audio Engineering Technology degree that was focused on recording music and doing live sound reinforcement, although most of my work now is in theater.

Electrical engineering here too. I'm not eactly an "Audio Professional" though, my day job is designing high voltage substations. Pro audio is a hobby for me. I've been doing sound work since junior high though. The experience was actually invaluable in my EE classes though, especially amplifier design and signal analysis.

In the mid-eighties for a couple of years (and then a couple more in the mid-nineties to finish my degree) I majored in Recording Industry Management with a "Production & Technology" emphasis @ MTSU in Murfreesboro, TN. The P&T emphasis provided both live and recording classes as well as some pretty in-depth equipment maintenance instruction - lots of hands-on. Many late nights (early mornings?) in the Studio with the Studer and lots of solder burn holes in my jeans - for me, it was a ridiculous amount of fun!

Regards,
Mark

Let's see, two years as a Physics major, one course shy of a Civil Engineering major in either Structural or Systems Engineering and a BSE in Acoustical Engineering, all at Purdue (and all from 25 to 30 years ago). The Acoustical Engineering major was an "Interdisciplinary Engineering" major and involved classes in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, Music and, in my case, Theatre Tech.

I have a bachelor's degree in Electronics Engineering Technology. I graduated from Oregon Institute of Technology, Klamath Falls.

My engineering background is used every day, as I design, build and maintain a large radio station plant. It was my high school interest of audio and theater that led me to broadcasting after I graduated. It was also a case of right place, right time, along with personal connections. I've been here 22 years and it is never boring.

I have a Bachelor of Arts in Telecommunications. In the 1980s, Michigan State University rolled their audio and video production majors into the Telecommunications major, so officially it's a TC degree with a focus in audio engineering. Plus I "minored" in theatre, though they didn't really call it "minoring."

12 years at the University of Life, School of Hard Knocks. Best teacher I ever had was Murphy.

Currently taking some recording classes on the side, may develop into some degree since I get free tuition at the university I work at, but at the rate of one class a semester I don't know if I'll graduate or retire first.

Seriously, for those of you in High school or currently enrolled in college, be smart like these other guys. Get some sort of paper to back up your credentials and knowedge. Do as I say not as I did, cause going back to school with a full time job and family aint no fun.

Associate of Applied Science in Music Production-McNally Smith College of Music, St. Paul, MN '03

Bachelor of Music Education- Augsburg College, Minneapolis, MN '06

BJH

I recently graduated with a major in Broadcasting and a minor in Communication Studies. I worked for my university's center for the arts running sound and video for concerts, chapels, community events, corporate events, etc. I also gained a TON of experience in audio-for-film, post-production, and recording and have a number of student films to claim parts in.

There are a couple of key things I did to make sure I got the most out of it:

1. Realize that education without experience doesn't do you any good. Get out there and practice what you're learning!

2. Try EVERYTHING, even if you know you'll never really get into that aspect of "it".

3. Enjoy it! Don't let your time go by without enjoying the experience. It's not just about the end goal or the journey - it's about both and beyond.

I have a BA in tech Theatre- my direction was Technical Director. In college, I didn't do that much audio, more lighting and shop work. The funny part is the job I have now is mostly audio, (actually a bit of everything as a one man show) and boy I wish i had worked more in audio in college!

Hey Guys
I did my ba sound engineering than as a a master electro acoustic for commercial places inc. live events.
Plus toooo many courses anf factory certfcs ...

To those of you who did a sound engineering (or similar program): was your program a 'hard' engineering program (which classes in physics, math, etc), or was it geared toward a more practical education (how to use gear)?

To those of you who did a sound engineering (or similar program): was your program a 'hard' engineering program (which classes in physics, math, etc), or was it geared toward a more practical education (how to use gear)?
Both. The Engineering and Physics aspects were actual Engineering and Physics courses, the Theatre Tech aspect was much more practical application with everything from soldering connectors and creating/editing effects to being required to teach part of Don Davis's 'Sound System Engineering' to a class that included everyone from an Electrical Engineering major to acting and directing majors, great practice for having to present technical information to a range of people.

The program @ MTSU (Recording Industry Production and Technology) was a good mix of both disciplines (number crunching & hands-on). Calculations could be in-depth, but typically required no more than intermediate-level algebra/trig/geometry. For those with little love for math, I will say that using it to accomplish something you are truly interested in (audio pursuits in this case) makes all the difference in making it quite tolerable - perhaps even enjoyable...

Math/physics work came into play in classes such as acoustics, electronics, maintenance, and such.

Some of the hands-on work in this particular program included:
Sound Reinforcement gig work with local (Nashville area) SR companies
Analog & digital recording/mastering (You, Neumann, Studor & friends at all hours of the night and early morning)
Maintenance (troubleshooting, circuit tracing/repair, soldering, electronic project building, etc.)
Acoustic analysis of performance spaces (both on paper with calculator and/or with test equipment)
Audio engineering for television
Audio engineering for remote television truck productions (they had a killer remote TV truck – great fun)
Electronic music production (MIDI rigs/Synthesis/Sequencing,etc.)
Music physics projects
Critical listening
and more…

There was also practical business instruction as well addressing concert promotion/event planning, studio management, contracts/legal issues, etc.

We had a very active AES chapter which involved many interesting side-trips, seminars & guest lectures.

Though there is no replacement for actual work in the industry, I have repeatedly used many of the skills I learned and/or practiced during this schooling.

In addition to the above, perhaps some of the most beneficial education (most bang for the buck)I have received has been from Syn-Aud-Con sound design workshops (pioneered by Don Davis, whom Brad spoke, of and now taught by gifted instructor Pat Brown) and a number of seminars held by prominent industry figures at various NSCA Expos and the like.

Regards,
Mark

Last edited:
sound design at Boston University. It's part of the Design and Production department of the School of Theater in the College of Fine Arts. (AKA D&P in SOT in CFA. BU likes their acronyms)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back