CD-80 with Johnson 2000 Upgrade issue

theisbr

I work for a local high school in Chicagoland, and back in 2007 they upgraded their Strand CD80 Rack with the Johnson System CD2000 retrofit. For the last couple of years, I have not been able to use the circuits on the first electric that are wired to Dimmers 15 and 16 in the dimmer rack. I have tried to swap out the dimmer modules for known good modules, but have not been able to get 15 and 16 to work. For example, I pulled the module out of the dimmer rack for 15 and 16 (those two dimmers are on the same dimmer module) and swapped it with the dimmer module for dimmers 1 and 2. Dimmers 1 and 2 still work after the swap, but 15 and 16 still did not work. That tells me that the dimmer module is not the problem, but I don't know what else to look for in the dimmer rack. I have been able to get around not having those 2 dimmers, but now I am having problems with dimmers 14 and 18 and it will be really hard to be down 4 dimmers, especially since they are all on the first electric.

Here is what happened. Yesterday when I was hanging lights, I plugged in some lights to the circuit #18 and the lights turned right on. I thought that was odd since nothing should have been powered on except for the house lights. When we were done hanging and plugging the lights, I went to the dimmer rack to start some troubleshooting. I pulled the dimmer module out for dimmers 17 and 18 and swapped it with the dimmer module for 13 and 14. With the module that was originally in slot 17 and 18, now in slot 13 and 14, the lights plugged into #14 came on. This indicated that there was a problem with the module. I put the module originally in slot 13 and 14 into slot 17 and 18 and the lights plugged into #18 still came on. This confused me because I thought my problem was in the other dimmer module (now in slot 13 and 14). I swapped the modules back (everything back to its original position) and now 14 and 18 are staying on. To continue to troubleshoot, I chose two different dimmer modules that I knew worked fine. I swapped the dimmer module from slot 1 and 2 with 13 and 14. 1 ,2 and 13 worked normally, 14 came on. I also swapped the dimmer module from slot 17 and 18 with slot 5 and 6. 5 and 17 worked fine, 6 and 18 came on (I expected 6 to come on as I suspected a defective module). When swapped back, 5, 6 and17 worked fine and #18 was still on.

I cycled the power on the dimmer rack and still got the same results, the lights plugged into Dimmers 14 and 18 always stay on. Anything else I can try?

Sometimes a question becomes so specific, it is had to answer! ;)
So, here's a crack- It sounds like you may have two or three problems. Some of the SSRs in the modules sound like they are toast. You may have a case where others are on the verge, and simply putting them on a channel that has a heavier load took them out since there does not appear to be a short issue. On the missing electrics, this may be a controller issue in the dimmer pack, or an issue downstream of the dimmer such as an open connector or thermal damage at a terminal block. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to pin these things down outside of an on-site inspection by qualified personnel that are not biased to selling you new equipment.

Thanks for the reply. I figured that the SSR is bad in one of the modules.

I will contact the installer and see what they think. I was just hoping there might be a reset in the processor units for dimmers that don't turn off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back