Hey, I thought we could share pictures of our shows...

Re: Hey i thought we could share pic of our shows

That's one lucky high school!!!! I wish that I could have had that sort of rig (we had 24 old century ellipsoidals, 30 or so century fresnels, with only about 12 ever plugged in because of circuiting limitations, and 5 RGB strips working).

ya we are really fortunate. alot of it has to do with because we had a cafe stage and then 4 years later they built an auditorium, and we dont us the cafe anymore so we have the inventory for both space. circuting isnt great, but we just twofer ATON and make it work and we have amzing directors who fight for new things, and we are really popular within the community so they get whatever they want...politics are only good if they work in your favor

Yea, that does sound like a really nice rig.

Though, not to disparage you or anything, those are some great pictures and I have to compliment you if nothing else on your fundamentals. It helps to have a great photographer, but the people simply look great in those pictures. Looks like you have a great mastery of basic technique, which a suprisingly large amount of people lack.

well ill take the compliment kuz all the pics were either taken my my TD or me. all of em are live shots we dont have photocall...lame

My high school did The Crucible for our drama, I designed the set.

Act 1

Act 2

Act 3

Act 3

no pictures of act four, but it had a free standing door, two benches and a window "floating" above one of the benches.

Last edited:

Hmm the pic that came through was the final one of the bench and the door, I tried clicking on the other links but it took me to an upload page.

I like the look of that door, sort of an interesting "Tim Burton" <no offense if that's not what you were aiming for> look to it.
Can't wait to see the rest of the pictures.

EDIT- Nevermind the pics came through while I was writing the above. Wierd, I wonder why they didn't load right up ?
Anyway,

Looks nice. Crucible is a great show for young designers, as it offer a ton of options, realistic, minimalistic, surrealistic, it all fits the script. < thank you Arthur Miller > If you wouldn't mind a miniscule amount of criticism, I'd have made much different choices for the chairs, way out of the time period. The Trestle table is nice. and the chairs that go with it look much more period.
Why the choice of the "burtonesque" door for act 3 and 4 and yet the realistic 'cutaway' door for 1 & 2 ?

Nicely done! and nice execution < sorry for the pun> of the pieces.

Last edited:

as a matter of fact i took inspiration from Tim Burton, and my color choice was justified if not influenced by corpse bride (the director wanted everything in black and white, i made everything "black and white" aka dark blue and light blue). sorry about the pictures, i was working out which to use; it should be all fixed now.

about the chairs: we have very limited budget and those are the stock chairs that we happen to have floating around our theater. I hate them, for most shows but this one in particular. I was able to get some chairs that i liked better for act two from my garage, but for the rest i had to make do with what's had. The rationale behind the doors was that act two was supposed to be completely (within the color range) realistic because Proctor is the least "insane" of the townspeople. Act one had some surrealism, mostly with the bed, but act three was the climax of the town going crazy so it was the climax of the surrealism in the set pieces.

Cool ! good job. I understand the budget constraints and the pressure to use stock items !

hey thats a great set youve got there and i love the way you thought it out. ive never done the crucible myself, but i know the play, and can see that it could be great for us techs to express ourselves.

Ok After seeing all sorts of beautiful stuff I thought I'd throw a few of mine your way. These are of a show we did last season titled "Humble Boy" as you can see it takes place in a garden. Major components here were;
Floor , MDF whacked with Vans special Malmaucher tool, then treated with a heavy dose of Vans Super Secret Scenic Dope. The individual tiles were then detail painted and then blended again once they were installed, I really loved the addtion of the moss and dirt between the tiles to give it a very realistic feel.

Rock Wall, 1", 2" and 3" Extruded Polystyrene carved applied to a 1/4" Luan backer board, Then treated with VSSSD, Paint and moss.

The Bee Hive, erosion cloth, gathered with twine every 16" or so spiraled up tied in place ofer a wood armature, then treated with, You guessed it , Van's Super Secret Scenic dope.

The sky drop in back is stretched Tricot, the gras is Syn-Lawn< expensive but worth it>, pea gravel in all the walkways, the 12'x 2'x3' Pond was my real baby, along with the 4 goldfish I snuck in there during tech week. The flowers are all silks sitting in a real peat moss/ poting soil mixture. Oh yeah the trees, branches, to which we had to wire silk leaves with florists wire and tape. What you dont really see in these pics is the apple tree branch rigges DSL that had a real apple drop out of it every night on cue. < the actress had to pick it up and take a bite, so it had to be real.> It was rigged on a solenoid that was fired from the booth. The nice thing was from more than two feet away you couldn't tell that is wasn't a real apple growing off the limb.

Anyway, Sorry to brag I just really loved this design and execution. BTW the Designer is Jeffery Seats < ARTs Resident Scenic Designer> , Lights are by Jeff Forbes < Imago, ART, Yadda Yadda Yadda>
Photos are also Courtesy of Jeffery Seats.
I hope these pics are clear the originals are spectacular but about 6Mb Each so I resized them. Let me know If I should repost them.

Last edited:

Floor , MDF whacked with Vans special Malmaucher tool, then treated with a heavy dose of Vans Super Secret Scenic Dope. The individual tiles were then detail painted and then blended again once they were installed, I really loved the addtion of the moss and dirt between the tiles to give it a very realistic feel.

That's gotta be some of the best names ever. VSSSD, makes it sound like an important acronym...haha! Nice.

And the "Malmaucher tool" sounds intriguing...

OH, and by the way, those are some really cool sets!!!!!!

hehehe Couldn't help it! The Maulmacher is an ol 1" chisel I welded onto the end of a 16" long piece of 1" pipe, Wrapped a goodly bit of friction tape at the end for a handle stop. Sort of like an adze but really effective for carving stonework etc out of MDF or LDF, Or if you want to distress the top of a table, or if you just want to tear stuf up. Respect the Maulmacher, don't get in it's way.
And Thanks, Humble boy was one of my favorites over the last couple of years. The really cool thing was that the Vom Entrances were covered with Arbors with Wisteria and other vines, With the fountain going and the preshow sounds of birds, it really felt like you were walking into a garden.

The 38" conduit bender is our tool of choice for scaring the crap out of people. It was funny. One day in lighting design, one Lab design group had to create a scene of a crime in the city, so they set up some gobos, spooky backlighting, etc, and then had the big guy in the group stand in the middle with the conduit bender over his shoulder. Very convincing, I must say. Not to be reckoned with.

I'll be posting pics of our Urinetown set soon, it's rather...interesting. Basically, we're applying Metropolis to Urinetown through the production concept, so we've got some interesting stuff going on - including the legendary "metropolis tower" from the movie poster.

This actually isn't a picture of a show; it's just a planning picture for the show a couple weeks out.
Basically my entire point in posting this was to snub my nose at fancy and expensive visualization software. Psha.

proxy.php

Screw you and your fanciness John Hirsh! (That's kinda awesome.)

And those were rockin' MSPaint skills I used, over a scanned/negatived drawing.

That guitar player is going to get a sunburn on his shins !

Except for the fact that many moving lights have UV filters in them now.

Ok here's the set of "All My Sons" I did last year. It's not that great of a set but it's amazing considering the conditions it was built under.

So this room we were performing in is a large ballroom with the most god awful carpet you've ever seen... it takes about 20 seconds of starring to see it move. We had no curtains... the black fabric backdrop is strips of broadcloth hung from conduit attached to the ceiling with Zip Ties. The room is on the second floor of the student union, so everything has to be hauled up the stairs... and I build my platforms sturdy and heavy (3/4 ply with a layer of 1/2 inch sound deadening board underneath... nice and quiet). Oh yeah and there's no shop... I built it all in my 1930's vintage house's single car garage. Oh yeah and I could start load in at 9 am and had to be ready for tech at 5 pm. Oh yeah and I had a budget of $400. Oh yeah and I don't really have a crew to help me... just a couple of grunts with no real skills.

Got the turf for free from the nice folks at Fieldturf (who have a warehouse on I-5 about 20 minutes south of Portland, Van). The brick is the stuff that they sell in 4X8 sheets just made into flats.

Had to cut a hole in one of my brand new platforms for that stupid cut down apple tree. Don't you hate scripts that call for stuff like that. I never really figured out what the ivy and lattice over the out door kitchen table was all about but but it was exactly what the director wanted.

Attachments

• sons1.jpg
    sons1.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back