How to recreate these lighting effects?

carsonld

I am designing the lights for the play Cheaper by the Dozen, the backdrop for the show will be the CYC. I am trying to recreate the effect below. I figure they are using gobos put in a S4 on a boom, But what kind of gobos? If any of you have successfully done something like this please share!

Attachments

• Wicked_Set_Detail_4.jpg
    Wicked_Set_Detail_4.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 456
  • gfhfg.png
    gfhfg.png
    279 KB · Views: 462
The Wicked picture looks like the cyc is just pinched in certain places to give it that effect. As far as the other picture and flare gobo that is a tad outta focus will do.

I am designing the lights for the play Cheaper by the Dozen, the backdrop for the show will be the CYC. I am trying to recreate the effect below. I figure they are using gobos put in a S4 on a boom, But what kind of gobos? If any of you have successfully done something like this please share!
The first pic is just a Cyc. It's a very smooth transition from Blue to Amber - so you are probably looking at an LED unit - like a color blaze. If your color needs are fairly limited then a 3 color cyc with a Blue, Magenta and Amber could get you very close. The cloudy streaks could be achieved with a S4/Gobo side light. It'll want to be in line with the cyc so it scrapes across.

The real trick to keeping that nice saturated look is going to be keeping all your white key light off the cyc. The only light on the flowers is 1 or 2 lekos from SL - nothing is coming from the front.

Some of the detail in the X-Mas carol Cyc looks to be painted on. There's the shadow of a building far SR that kinda gives it away. Looks to be treated with blue cyc lights and gobos as well.

What is it about those photos you want to re-create? What is the idea that they are portraying that you want to pull out of them? Think about all the possible angles of light but also how light interacts when it comes across other light and then when it comes to practice.. just kinda throw things up and see how they work together.

The first photo's gradient is indeed a two color wash. It probably is from LED units vertically hung to light the cyc but a similar look can be created with standard cyc units vertically hung with appropriate gel. Think about color mixing theory and if need be use two flashlights and a swatch book of gel. By using different colors top and bottom you can create a wide array of gradients at a higher level of saturation.

The clouds are probably created probably with 3 or 4 (but even if not definitely more than 1) cloud gobos sidewashing it with N/c. they shoot at a strong side angle across to make it stretch out - depending on how many units they may be 26 or 36 degrees. You can probably get a fairly decent wash like that... one hung high, the next two hung kinda close and the bottom one at shin buster level. Take a look at photo for a more visual of what I think is going on.

The second photo is a little harder to see whats up... but I think I agree with lghtingguy in that the drop is probably painted with clouds or something... because of the dark blue to sudden light blue back to dark. It may just be an optical issue with the camera but doubtful. If you use a painted drop along with glass gobos you can create a really cool kinda cloud effect. The clouds in the photo are probably projected from the front over the stage... hard to tell how far forward or not they are because they can be cut off at the buildings, but because it looks like they disappear on the left side behind the wall, they are probably within two or 3 feet over the top so that they can shoot more of the cyc and not have a big cut right at the top of the wall.

Sorry if any of this isnt clear and of course this is just my thoughts on how to recreate the cyc look in both of those photos.

Attachments

• Wicked_Set_Detail_4 Possible Explain.jpg
    Wicked_Set_Detail_4 Possible Explain.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 206
Thank you so much, I do know for a fact that the Christmas Carol is not painted, that it is a cyc, I went and saw this show. Im not as much trying to recreated the cyc color as muc as I am on the clouds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back