Lighting Rig Portability

cbabbman

I'd love to hear some experiences and suggestions on how to help make my lighting rig more portable and quicker/easier to setup. Also, I'm always willing to hear other suggestions on how to present things, where to hang the lights, etc. This is our first experience with lighting that's something other than 4 par 38's with dimmers and gels up front.

I play in a country band that's doing about 100 gigs a year. I'm the bass player and because I don't sing, everyone thought I'd be the perfect candidate to deal with the lighting. Cause you know... us bass players don't have much, if anything, to do. ;)

I took this on and built up a light rig as follows:

Rear
20' of Global Truss with 2 ST-132 stands.
On the truss hangs 4 Blizzard Blades and 2 Q-Spot-260's.
We hang our banner in the center and 2 blades on a side with the a q-spot on each end.
I also hang some white spandex on extensions that put it about 1-2 feet behind the truss and banner to give some depth. I light this up with 4 Blizzard Flurries that pretty much just wash it with color.

Front
2 ultimate stands with 4 Blizzard Fab5's on each stand. 2 on each side of these wash the band, 1 on each side are on sidearms that stick out front about head height to light up our lead singer and make his face something other than a shadow under his big assed cowboy hat (this was in an uplighting question thread here) and 1 on each side is pointed at the drummer to make him stand out a little more.

I run all of this with Nicolaudie Sunlite Suite 2. I have a backup system of Blizzard Lucid and/or Luminaire in case Sunlite takes a crap on me. I'll be adding a midi foot controller to switch scenes up.

I use real DMX cables for everything and a terminator. Yes, everything has safety cables and I use Blizzard Klamp-N clamps for all of my rear hanging lights and chauvet O clamps for the Fab 5's up front.

Obviously, this all takes time to setup and I am trying to gin up a few ways to make this all quicker and easier to deal with for setup and tear down. Unfortunately, we don't have a trailer so everything has to come apart to travel.

To this end, I put together some wiring harnesses for the front lighting. The Fab 5's all have IEC power in/out along with DMX In/Out. I used the cords I have which while not all that pretty when wire tied together, seem to work fine and make setting up the front lights fairly quick. My headache comes from the Accucable 50' power/dmx combo cable I use to connect the front light stands together along with the DMX cables I have to run up one tree and down the other tree to connect my chain.

What I would love to do is have a harness that has all my interconnection points on the ground. Power is easy... but the DMX is where I am at a bit of a loss. I guess something like a DMX hub that has an in and a thru and a port or ports to run up to the lights on the stands.

The rear is what it is and I've put together the cables runs I need there. Unfortunately, other than leaving my clamps on the fixtures, this will always be a manual exercise for setup and tear down. I'm more focused on the front lighting because we use this more than the rear truss setup due to some of the venues not giving us much space to set the truss up.

Anything you all want to throw at this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Wow. It all sounds pro. Nice work. Perhaps a DMX splitter would help so that you can run a separate DMX cable to either side and the rear. This should make your harnesses simpler.

I know what you mean by bigassed hats. I get that all the time. The worst is when they sound check without hats and then come on stage all cowboyed up and catch me off guard.

Set up time is directly related to the size of your truck! That's your choke point as everything has to come apart. Fixed wiring harnesses can work against you when you hit a venue that has the wrong stage dimensions. About the best hint I could suggest is what we did with a band I worked for quite a number of years back- All of the lighting road cases were built to be 24 inches high, each went to the location on the stage they were to be used and contained everything used in that area. Those cases would hit the stage first, be emptied and then moved over to be the base for the drum riser. At the end of the night, while the drummer struck his equipment, we would pack up the FOH equipment. Once the drums were down we would move those cases to their locations and drop the lighting equipment into them. Set up was about 55 minutes. Strike was about 40.

You could run two DMX cables up each tree - one for DMX in, and one for DMX out. Another possibility would be to go wireless, with one receiver on each tree.
/mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back