Looking for a new console for high school

Hi!

First, I am very sorry to be starting so many threads lately. Anyway, my high school has a 2 scene preset board with 8 submasters on 4 pages.

I don't know the maker or model of the board(even though I've been in front of it so many times LOL) but I am pretty happy with it. We have no moving lights, just basic fixtures. I want to use gobos in my next production and I also wanted to see about some "GO button" that I have read about on here. My board, atleast I don't think, has this button. So I either have to use the submasters or scene 1 or 2 for each cue.
I also did search on here but could find stuff on a search for a new console but nothing on having no go button. If you have any advice on running without the go button, other than just manual switching, that would be really appreciated. The manual cues are just getting quite tough and having a go button would seem so much easier.

I want to see if we can either get a new board (there's a few issues with this one besides that its very old) and maybe get something that is more modern and one with a GO button so I wouldn't have to manually do each cue. I have read threads on here about new consoles, but do you guys have any ideas for a new console? I really wish my board had a go button, it would be much easier if I had that.

I am not sure what the budget is, because I don't even know if the school will purchase a new one. I would like to hear some options and then I will try to ask the school and talk to the superintendent who is very in to theater and has directed his own plays before.

Thanks for ALL the help, this seems like a great place. Sorry for starting another thread, though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
Check out the sticky thread "Help me pick a lighting console" (or something to that effect, its at the top of the thread list). If you buy a new, computer based console, it will have a go button. Actually, I have yet to see one without a go button, but im sure they exist somewhere. Check out the new console thread, and if your still having issues, go ahead and ask more specific questions.

Thanks guys, I have checked thaty thread before I posted this.

is there a reason why our board doesn't have a go button?

Or should I be looking into a PC based solution where I can run the board from my laptop? I have read threads here on that, but is the software solution something that would work for my school productions?
I just don't like having to manually change every cue and if I could do it from a computer and software, I think that would be much better.

Thanks!
Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

...If you have any advice on running without the go button, other than just manual switching, that would be really appreciated. The manual cues are just getting quite tough and having a go button would seem so much easier. ...
No advice on running a two-scene board. Sounds like you're using it to its optimum, and finding its limitations. These boards quickly become unwieldy when trying to do intricate lighting or when one needs more than 24 channels.

Every memory console will have a <GO> or execute button; some have lots of them. One of the benefits of all memory consoles is ease of repeatability. One needn't worry about getting the channel handles to exactly the same settings each time a cue is run.

Have a look at this thread: http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/8041-scene-not-too-scene-alas-poor-express.html.

If I remember right from other posts you have an old two scene preset with submasters. No you don't have a go button. What the modern memory console essentially does is allow you to record hundreds of cues which are sort of like a virtual version of the submasters on your old board, line them all up in order, change the transition times between them, and then press go and fire through them all in order. Every look, every timing, EXACTLY the same every night.

If I remember right from other posts you have an old two scene preset with submasters. No you don't have a go button. What the modern memory console essentially does is allow you to record hundreds of cues which are sort of like a virtual version of the submasters on your old board, line them all up in order, change the transition times between them, and then press go and fire through them all in order. Every look, every timing, EXACTLY the same every night.

Oh ok, then that is what I want!

I just the board again for the first time since July and its not in good condition. All the "knobs" on each slider are all loose and some are just falling off. The monitor that shows the dimmer information and all is flickering and has been going off so many times. Once it goes off, the only way to reset it is to turn the whole board off. I would hate for this to happen in a show, actually it did once but it was right before intermission, so it wasn't that bad. But despite this being a very old board and these small problems, I doubt the school would consider purchasing a new one. Any advice in talking to the school about purchasing a new one?

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

I just the board again for the first time since July and its not in good condition.
Did you note the manufacturer or model number (or any other identifying information) on the board?

One consideration before planning to get a new board is do your dimmers talk DMX? If they don't, then an additional converter to talk to any new board.

-Fred

Gafftaper is right, and you usually don't have to look very hard for a Go button. It's about as predominant on a memory console as the space bar is on your QWERTY keyboard. What you have is in fact a manual 2-scene preset which can't do much more than record a few submasters. I'm sure that memory consoles existed back when your system was installed, but it was probably decided that a memory console would be too cost prohibitive and that the features of one would never be needed. I don't know how old your school is, but it could have been built back when 2-scene preset was the norm and memory consoles were only used on larger scale productions and Broadway tours.

One good thing about starting on a manual board is learning how to "feel" the lights. Keep at it, and keep trying to push that new board, but be prepared for the fact that this has to go through a grant and/or bid process which may not end until after you've graduated. Even then, they may bid out a cheaper console with "similar" features in order to save money. All lighting consoles look the same to accountants. It's the figures that make up their mind. In that case, an Innovator=Element=LightPallet and the choice is clear to them... The Innovator is WAY cheaper and seemingly does a lot of the same stuff.

Gafftaper himself started a great thread on the bid process of his blackbox theatre. If I remember correctly, he had to be extremely careful with his wording so that he got real Source Four ellipsoidals, and not some Chinese knock-offs. Obviously, in any bid process, you are at the mercy of the lowest bidder, who will do the job as cheaply as possible so as to make the most profit. This may or may not result in the end-user getting what they want. To sum it up, it is a little more complicated than just asking for "Brand X" light board.

Last edited:
Fred,

Unfortunately I did not note the manufacturer or model or anything as I should have. I was kind of rushed out of the booth as they were doing a presentation and I needed to head out of there.

Our dimmers do talk DMX, so no converter would be needed.

Like I said, buttons are falling off the sliders and the monitor isnt reliable with the board. Having to reset the monitor by powering off the entire board is getting very annoying. But, like I said, I really dont know if the school will purchase a new board. A new high school is being built, and that will have a newer board but that wont be open for 3-4 more years. I just wish that I could either use some sort of PC software toc ontrol the cues via my laptop or a computer there in the booth or get a new board. If I could convince them to go the software route, that would be much cheaper.

My fear is that they will wait out the 3-4 years and elect to neglect the existing space. What will the building be used for after the new high school is built? Will it remain open as a high school, or will it be torn down/reinstated as something else? If the building's days are numbered, I doubt they will buy anything for it so the software route would be the way to go. If the building is to stay open as an educational facility, you probably still have a chance.

Les, the high school will be used as the new middle school for the ever-growing community.

So the days are not numbered, and the theatre will remain the same. But even so, I dont know who OR how to address the situation with wanting/needing a new board.

... In that case, an Innovator=Element=Palette and the choice is clear to them... The Innovator is WAY cheaper and seemingly does a lot of the same stuff. ...
Is this true? Is an Innovator really less expensive than an Element?

Edit: Upon further research, only the Innovator 24/48 is priced less than the Element. But it's apples and oranges comparing a dated, eleven year-old design with a just-released console.

Last edited:
Is this true? Is an Innovator really less expensive than an Element?

If memory serves correctly, yes, but I guess it depends on which Element/Innovator you're looking at. Then again, the last time I was out pricing was about 5 years ago so I could be way off.

Last edited:
Les,

Since the school is staying open with the same theater and all...do you think I should try for the new board? Try for a software solution?

Or, think I should just stick this board that I am starting to hate LOL?
Posted via Mobile Device

I definitely think you should try for something, but also take what you can get. Make sure they know that you appreciate them and that you would love the opportunity (as would those in the future) to learn on a decent console. The one you have hampers your ability to learn.

I would pitch both ideas to them, but be sure to do your research first. Maybe try for a console and if that doesn't pan out, throw the software idea out there, and that they may even be able to run the software from an existing computer.

Right, the new console would benefit not just me but everyone after me.

I will try to pitch both ideas after researching.

Now, any specific console you guys would reccomend? I've read the threads on picking a new console but I REALLY don't know what I would want to use and what I would be able to use. And I would want to have something that would be up to date and work with us for as long as possible, but I REALLY don't know what consoles to even begin to research further.

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

I have read a ton of posts on getting a new console, some new and some old. I am now further researching the boards like the ETC Ion and others comparable to that.

I think we would just want something more up to date, easier to use, and one that can actually record cues. Because in our shows we have many lighting changes but it is all done manually, so it is getting very tough for me. I would much rather program the cues before the show and then be a bit more at ease when the show begins with the recorded cues.

Thanks everyone!

I would look into the ETC Element, Strand Palette range, EDI (Electronics Diversified, Inc) Bijou, and consoles from Zero88, like the Frog and Jester lines. Both Zero88 and EDI are now a part of Cooper Electric.

Maybe even (dare I say it?) Lehigh Lighting.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back