Control/Dimming Palette Users.....IPhone App....

I wanted to get Palette user's opinion on whether or not you would be interested in an Iphone/Itouch RFU app for the Palette's?

Let me know your honest opinion's on this. I want to see what I can do to push to get one made.

Are you kidding? Anything that can help erase the memory of the HP IPAQ remotes. If I have to go and reload my local TV stations IPAQ again I will tear my hair out. Good idea but bad consumer tech back in the day. Just too bad that Apple doesn't make a "hardened" version of the touch ipod. My Panasonic CF-P1 that I use for invoicing in the field can second as a club weapon to fend off agitated producers and such.

iPhone is nice, but being able to remoteley control the console from a PC on the same network would also be nice, ETC allows this in the EOS range, so there can be a laptop side of stage, where you can run up all your channels. A NetBook computer will cost you less than an iPod Touch, they are slightly larger, but much tougher, I think that remote control from a computer should come first, unless you were to make a really good version of the Web one you pull up in your browser.
Nick

iPhone is nice, but being able to remoteley control the console from a PC on the same network would also be nice
Strand has had this since the new Palette line was first released; the OLE has full remote control functionality, I use it frequently.

I don't have an i-anything, personally, but most of our students do, they would certainly use it. (we had one student who was working on an app that would allow good control of movers from his iTouch... but he graduated before he got very far.)

-Fred

iPhone is nice, but being able to remoteley control the console from a PC on the same network would also be nice, ETC allows this in the EOS range, so there can be a laptop side of stage, where you can run up all your channels. A NetBook computer will cost you less than an iPod Touch, they are slightly larger, but much tougher, I think that remote control from a computer should come first, unless you were to make a really good version of the Web one you pull up in your browser.
Nick

They have had that way before the new line of consoles. X-Connect worked on the 300/500 series consoles and it gave full control of the console.

I would love to see an iphone app. That being said, I think the pricing model that ETC is pushing is about right. GrandMA pricing model is even better. This is one of the value added add ons, not a money maker IMO. I think we are approaching the time when this is a must have thing for all console manufactures to have.

I have wanted an iRFR for quite a long time... my theatre lost all of its funding this year so we have had to let go of a technician so it is usually just me focusing, and i cannot afford the Symbol PDA. I think the $50 price range is perfect.

I'm lucky enough to not need an IPhone App since I've got the Symbol PDA. However, this wasn't a cheap option. I really love the powerful features in the current PDA software... we actually got in a situation where we ran a "show" from the PDA once (It was only 3 cues). Version two of the PDA software is much more stable than version one was although it does occasionally still hang up, but that's not a big deal if you are only using it for focusing. However, it's expensive. It would be great if you could develop a cheaper way to get the software out... be it IPhone or just PDA software available to anyone to load them self (as you could do with the 300/500 software and your own PDA).

A version of the current PDA software to run on a netbook is an interesting idea as well. Although more cumbersome, a $300 Netbook is a better option than an Iphone App for some of us who are over 30. True the standard remote palette software would work but there are some nice things in the current PDA software that it would be a bit of a pain to do on the remote palette software. I'm sad PDA's are getting killed by phone technology, like Fred I don't have an "I-anything".

Last edited:
I'm lucky enough to not need an IPhone App since I've got the Symbol PDA. However, this wasn't a cheap option. I really love the powerful features in the current PDA software... we actually got in a situation where we ran a "show" from the PDA once (It was only 3 cues). Version two of the PDA software is much more stable than version one was although it does occasionally still hang up, but that's not a big deal if you are only using it for focusing. However, it's expensive. It would be great if you could develop a cheaper way to get the software out... be it IPhone or just PDA software available to anyone to load them self (as you could do with the 300/500 software and your own PDA).

A version of the current PDA software to run on a netbook is an interesting idea as well. Although more cumbersome, a $300 Netbook is a better option than an Iphone App for some of us who are over 30. True the standard remote palette software would work but there are some nice things in the current PDA software that it would be a bit of a pain to do on the remote palette software. I'm sad PDA's are getting killed by phone technology, like Fred I don't have an "I-anything".

I completely agree with you about the Symbol, but I also have to acknowledge what you are saying about the price. I am looking into the best solution that will reach a broad spectrum of people. Something that is easy to use, works great, and is fresh and new. Something that no one else has done yet. I hope I can figure it out soon. Keep throwing your comments in here about what you would want. This all helps me out.

Thanks again for all of your input so far everyone.

While a netbook would work even with out new software (just running Remote). I think the Physical User Interface is the problem. You would still have a keyboard and mouse/trackpad to deal with. If you are up in a catwalk that is fine, because you might have a place to set a laptop down, but if you are up an 18ft ladder, that is no place for a laptop (My MacBookPro took a tumble down, and survived)

Cost wise, In Canada, an 8GB ipod Touch costs 239.99. but most windows XP based notebooks are still 299.99+, although netbook costs are dropping like flies, and apple fixes the MSRP.

If the RFR ended up being a iDevice based software, a couple things i would like to see included are:

x,y graph for moving heads
color graph chooser.

The otterbox rubber cases available for iDevice would make the thing pretty hard to damage...

It would be great if it was something that the customer has the option of buying pre-loaded or providing their own hardware to run it on. I really don't like the current inability to load the software onto my own PDA.

...but if you are up an 18ft ladder, that is no place for a laptop ...
I would contend that the top of a ladder is no place for any handheld device, as its use would encourage one to violate OSHA's "three points of contact" rule.

I'd love the app.
I have an iPod Touch, and I always yearn to reach for it instead of our HP... so if the app is any better than the one strand produces, it'd be awesome

I WOULD LOVE THIS! I have been dreaming about one of these apps for a year or two! Please Please Please let me know if you design anything and need testing or if you know of anything already out there that is iPhone/touch compatible. With Apple's ease of using bonjour their p2p networking for remotes should be very simple and essentially VERY user friendly than a lot of other RFU's. I mean my iPhone controls my home... if it controlled my stage too i'd just love my iPhone even more and going to work...

I would love to see an iphone app. That being said, I think the pricing model that ETC is pushing is about right. GrandMA pricing model is even better. This is one of the value added add ons, not a money maker IMO. I think we are approaching the time when this is a must have thing for all console manufactures to have.

Kyle, I'm surprised you didn't ask for an Android app, as that's what you and the SO are both using. We really need to keep after ETC as well to move on that, so

Yes, iAnthing app's for consoles are great, but so are Android apps.

Steve Bailey
Brooklyn College

Kyle, I'm surprised you didn't ask for an Android app, as that's what you and the SO are both using. We really need to keep after ETC as well to move on that, so

Yes, iAnthing app's for consoles are great, but so are Android apps.

Steve Bailey
Brooklyn College

I posted that over a year ago way before android 2.0, 2.1, etc. The only android phone really out there at that time was the G1 which was a bit long in the tooth even then. Really, I can take or leave dedicated apps. What the companys need to do is put a web server in that you can navigate to like you do on the MagicQ.

I posted that over a year ago way before android 2.0, 2.1, etc. The only android phone really out there at that time was the G1 which was a bit long in the tooth even then. Really, I can take or leave dedicated apps. What the companys need to do is put a web server in that you can navigate to like you do on the MagicQ.

OH NO !, Nailed by a necro post !. I HATE those !.

SB

OH NO !, Nailed by a necro post !. I HATE those !.

SB

It happens to us all at some point. We do have an iPod touch in the family that is quickly being phased out, so not all is lost. However, the odds of me working in a venue that has an EOS line of console anytime soon is not all that good. Unless my express bursts into flames that thing is going to be going for a long time. MrsFooter also has an express that will probably not be replaced anytime soon. Her RRFU barely works and it is a pain to get out the wired RFU. What I would love is a little dongle that would hook up to the console's RFU port and allow me to use the ETC app with the express. I don't think or expect that to ever happen but I can wish, right? With the focus phone now gone and wired RFU's become scarce, something needs to happen.

OK, OK, OK.

So it's been a long time since I have been on here, but I have been notified that this thread has come back up. First of all, I wanted to point out the fact that this thread's title is: Thread: Palette Users.....IPhone App....: it has nothing to do with anything associated with ETC. If you would like to know about ETC's consoles, then I suggest that a thread be set up by one of their people about what you guys would want on their consoles.

That being said, for all of the Palette users out there, if you have not gone to the Strand.dev site, I suggest you really check it out. There is so much there that would help all of you out. You will also be able to find things that other end users have developed, and you can give them a try. One of the Palette faithfuls has already developed an iPhone app. I have never tried it, but there are a few reports that confirm it works well. Go there, and see what you can find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back