Loudspeakers retrofit S40 for speakon?

KensAudio

We're considering getting a handful of EV S40s, but if I recall correctly, they're just expecting to connect to bare ends on the back. Has anyone successfully retrofitted an S40 box with an NL4 receptacle? Is there room for it in the box? Any peculiarities I should know about?

Alternately, if not successful with the S40, has anyone done similar with other similar-sized/capacity boxes?

- K

I've had one apart, but it has been too long to remember much detail. The crossover takes up a fair amount of the back panel, and there would be a fair number of plastic ribs for stiffening, so you don't want to cut those, but it seems like there should be a spot big enough. They way they come apart, it should be easier to do than a glued together wood enclosure.

The S40s are decent speakers, but their response is a bit hyped with a bass peak. Sometimes that is good, and sometimes it isn't if you need smooth and accurate. Also keep in mind the 4 ohm impedance. Two on an amp channel takes an amp rated for a 2 ohm load!

I took a number of S40's apart this summer for repair, and there should be enough room to get an NL4 receptacle in there, especially if you can do without the spring terminals. The spring terminals are an individual part like this which is screwed into the enclosure, with the wires to the crossover attached by quick-connects at the rear. In my opinion, your best bet is to simply cut a piece of wood or plastic to the correct size, mount an NL4 in the center, and screw it into the holes where the spring terminal was originally attached.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back