schemes for itinerant gel storage

Re: Convenient Gel sheet Storage?

I keep sheets rolled up in shipping tubes (many times you can get them free), and cuts in file folders in a traditional file cabinet. Something I picked up at the PAC,

Mike

I keep sheets rolled up in shipping tubes (many times you can get them free), and cuts in file folders in a traditional file cabinet. Something I picked up at the PAC,

Mike

To me it seems as if that would way to many tubes, and take up a lot of space. I could see keeping some tubes on hand for when you need to take full sheets with you but other than that not so much.

Is there a reason you use tubes?

To me it seems as if that would way to many tubes, and take up a lot of space. I could see keeping some tubes on hand for when you need to take full sheets with you but other than that not so much.

Is there a reason you use tubes?

We (the two churches I freelance for on a regular basis) do not keep a lot of sheets. We only keep about 4 colors in sheets. Everything else is ordered and cut up as it is needed.

When we were at the PAC and when I spent time TDing at a theater where we kept significant amounts of gel we used one of those old style files.

Of course at the PAC we would order gel by the roll and not the sheet.

Mike

At my theatre we use old Accordion Folios for all the cut gell. They come in handy because it is one folio so we are not dealing with alot of storage, and the gell stays flat and organized by color. As for big sheets, we keep them in an art portfolio. Again, we have one thing that holds the gell so we dont have to juggle a bunch of tubes.

Just make a tray 1/4" plywood base with 1x2 sides on edge.
inside dimensions about an inch larger than the common sheet 21x25
proxy.php

you may want to make a lid for it. I would just rip one of the long sides down by 3/8" then rip a groove into the others for a 1/8" panel to slide in and out of.

glue and screw the unit together. if you have lots of color to deal with make the base about 1" wider that would give you some 1/2" ears that could fit into a simple slotted cabinet

Last edited:

The "industry standard" way of doing it is something like this...
proxy.php

The pictured Apollo gel cabinet is sold outright as well as given as a freebie to dealers that stock gel. If you are interested in the design, I can get some info to you. They are made locally by an Amish company and hold up very well!

(Fresh homemade fruit pies can be stored in the cabinet to cool when every other shelf is removed too...) :)

The pictured Apollo gel cabinet is sold outright as well as given as a freebie to dealers that stock gel. If you are interested in the design, I can get some info to you. They are made locally by an Amish company and hold up very well!

(Fresh homemade fruit pies can be stored in the cabinet to cool when every other shelf is removed too...) :)

I would love some info!

At my theatre we use old Accordion Folios for all the cut gell. They come in handy because it is one folio so we are not dealing with alot of storage, and the gell stays flat and organized by color. As for big sheets, we keep them in an art portfolio. Again, we have one thing that holds the gell so we dont have to juggle a bunch of tubes.

Yeah, but putting the tubes in vertical storage works just as well. No juggling necessary.

Mike

I would love some info!
Shelves of 1/4" Tempered HDF (Masonite) measuring 25" deep x 23" wide (21" wide if never planning to use Lee Filters, or 25" wide if planning on using Apollo's 24x24 sheets). Sides of cabinet are 3/4" Cabinet Grade plywood 25" deep x however high (but I wouldn't go more than 24" due to warping and weight). Sides have 5/16" wide by 3/8" deep grooves on 1" centers for the shelves to slide into. Tops and bottoms can be whatever is available, but a rigid back is essential for stability. A fun project for a carpenter to use his stacked dado-head cutter on his table saw. Alternatively, the grooves can be cut with a router fitted with a dado bit and a good straight edge. Hint: For best alignment, cut all the grooves first on a piece 50" wide x ~24" high, then crosscut in half.

Most places will not have the space or need for each drawer to be a single color. Up to five colors adjacent colors could go on the same shelf. Proper labeling and filing are essential!

Hint: For best alignment, cut all the grooves first on a piece 50" wide x ~24" high, then crosscut in half.

Spoken with wisdom and insight. Thank you Derek!!!

(Now, about those pies...)

Keith,

Never thought of the pies... great idea!

We have three of your racks stacked one atop of the other. Uses minimal floor space and can easily store a thousand sheets of Apollo gel.

A theatre I worked at just had a gel cutting room, the cut gels were kept in multiple regular filing cabinets with a folder for every number (I don't remember if it was also separated by size but I don't think so).

There were large cubes for the gel frames.

Various types of cutting machines with the lines of the various needed sizes already marked.

Uncut sheets were kept in small deep square compartments a bit higher up, and yes there just were lots of squares to hold all the different gels.

Yeah, we had a corner of Bills Bar (the electric shop at UT) set up for gel cutting and storage. We used file cabinets (cut gel), vertical racks (uncut sheets), and shipping tubes (for rolls of gel).

Mike

If you call up a Lee Distributer they sell a shelf that looks like Footer's picture. Probably a couple grand though. My arts center stores gel in blueprint shipping boxes. I will try and get a picture up here but they are basically 1' x 1' x 3' boxes with dividers to make 16 squares. We have about 30 of these boxes (1 square for each gel # we keep in stock). If you are storing lots of sheets, I have not seen a way that stays organized without taking up lots of space.

If you call up a Lee Distributer they sell a shelf that looks like Footer's picture. Probably a couple grand though.

The Apollo cabinet that is pictured earlier in this thread has an MSRP of $359, so it shouldn't break too many piggy banks. (As long as you don't drop it on the 'lil oinker)

I do a lot of work in small venues that are not terribly organized in terms of color. Over the years I have established a reasonable inventory of cut color, partial rolls of color, and full rolls of color. When I get a gig I select my color, see how much I have in inventory, and purchase what I need to complete the order. When I get to the theatre I either cut the color myself, or find a minion to do it for me.

Now I have no problem with storing the cut color. I have a plastic file box with file folders, a folder for each number, etc. The issue is how to deal with full and partial sheets.

Currently I have a maintain about six rolls of colors where each roll is a single manufacturer, and each roll is sorted by a range of numbers ( Say Rosco 01 to 49) . I maintain an inventory for each roll and have it in the plastic sleeve that holds the roll ( remember the old apollo plastic sleeves - that's what I mean). The issues are:

• The rolls tend to get unwieldy and roll around the trunk of my car.
  • The edges of color tends to get a bit crinkled over time as I unroll and re-roll the colors etc.
  • I have problems with untrained minions cutting color. They don't maintain the numeric order in the roll, update inventory sheets, etc.

Anyone have any ideas how to make this easier? I think I am looking for ideas for storage tubes, multiple storage tubes, or some other approach I have not considered.

How do others deal with this issue?

The issues are:

• The rolls tend to get unwieldy and roll around the trunk of my car.
  • The edges of color tends to get a bit crinkled over time as I unroll and re-roll the colors etc.
  • I have problems with untrained minions cutting color. They don't maintain the numeric order in the roll, update inventory sheets, etc.
Anyone have any ideas how to make this easier? I think I am looking for ideas for storage tubes, multiple storage tubes, or some other approach I have not considered.

How do others deal with this issue?

Well, for full sheets, we store in a 'pizza box' style cardboard drawer... They seem to be sized ideally for Gel Sheets, though I have no idea where they came from, or when they arrived. They are slightly larger than a pizza box, in terms of width and length, and the front pulls out like a drawer... Unsure of how else to describe... But you could likely sit 5 or 6 of these in your trunk with no issues. That would remove the 'damaged corners' from constant roll and unroll...
If this idea appeals to you, I'm sure I could pester my TD for information on the source of these.

As for minions... There really is no solution... I mean, you can type out a list of instructions going from 'Remove Gel carefully, mark twice, cut once, store in numerical order, etc' But if they fail to manage this by themselves... Chances are they won't follow the instructions anyway :neutral:

Haven't seen the Apollo plastic sleeves that you mention, but might a plastic drafting tube (I had one that was adjustable length) do the trick? I had an old tube that I used for designs that was maybe 4-5" in diameter (so it could fit loads of gel), and I could adjust the length in 2" increments (so the gel shouldn't shift up and down the length too much). If it comes with a carrying strap, you've also solved the "rolling in the trunk" problem.

As for the minions, +1 for Alex -- you're pooched. :wall:

Partial sheets are the devil's playground! (or something like that.) When cutting I almost always cut the rest of the sheet into usable cuts: 10x10, 7.5x7.5, or whatever I've cut so far, to use as spares.

The worst is looking at a what you think is a full sheet and needing 4- 10x10 cuts, only to find a 6.25x6.25 corner missing. Arrrgh!

Lotos, your "pizza boxes" may be from Rosco: #08601 Storage Drawers (set of 6). I've also seen similar boxes for archiving architectural drawings in drafting supply catalogs. Since I mentioned Rosco, to be fair, Apollo makes a nice, though not very portable, Gel Cabinet. If one prefers "rolling one's own," 3 or 4" PVC pipe with end caps makes a nice tube.

proxy.php

Stuck On Now – Englert Civic Theatre, Iowa City | iSquint.net

Users who are viewing this thread

Back