Wrong use of Far Cyc's?

Ack, that's bigger then they look :p Alright I will probably need to get some rolls then.
And I will just get what I can that they have, I'll ask whoever is there what they suggest too. I am not sure what they have in stock, so I will just have to see what. But the 'lighting designer' (The Jr. director wanted me to include other students if I could with technical stuff, so I made up some little titles for them : ). Wanted a light pinkish for the castle instead. So it'll be a dirty yellow, light pink, and dark purple.

We re-arranged the lights today, the two cycs light up the whole stage nicely.
We're going to finish up moving the spotlights and angling the above lights next Thursday and by then I should get the money to get the gels.
Feel bad for them, they have like, no budget. Shouldn't be much more than $70 I hope at $7 for a 20x24 sheet.
Wish they could like, charge by the inch and cut it there you know?
Wodner how much the frames will be..

...Wonder how much the frames will be...

Don't shoot the messenger; you're not gonna like this.:( While I can't find a price for Leviton brand FarCyc color frames, accessory manufacturer City Theatrical has them on the website: City Far Cyc, Cat.#2338, List Price $35.30. Also, I hope you've allowed time for the vendor to order them from Leviton or where ever. It's not the type of thing that most dealers would keep in stock.

As a less-expensive alternative, one could tape the gels on, but I wouldn't use gaffers or duct tape due to the heat. City Theatrical makes a product called Blacktak designed for high-temperature applications. Be sure to leave a place for the heat from the lamp to escape the fixture.

Derek,
D: I will check with Immidia to see if they have cheaper ones.. If not I think I will just tape them with that tape you said. I was thinking that, but I didn't know there was heat resistant tape :p Maybe I can tape gels together, hmm..and that broken color disc for our unmarked border light. ( Very odd, no company name at all, just says BorderLight on the sticker.
And there are vents on the back, probly leave a bit on the side to.
And yes, the show isn't for like, two months.

Sharyn, Thank you :)
Darn, I would definitely buy those cardboard ones, but these are bigger than 9 inches.
I probably will buy the metal ones when we have some extra money, but I can't borrow any money from the school because of our hopefully soon to be lnew ightboard.

Alright, thanks Sharyn, I will have to ask about the heat resistant tape when I am out at the store next. Will save us a good deal of money I think.
:)
Oh and I think they are like, 12''x14'' opening, someone said they where that in this thread. I will have to go measure one of them to be sure.

"Grayish" is going to be a problem. While some will argue, I was taught back at the dawn of electricity, there's no such thing as gray or brown light. If you're looking at R97, R397, R98, L209-211, AP2310-2330, they will reduce the intensity of the light without changing its color. Probably not the effect you're after.

I would disagree with whoever taught you that. There ARE browns, R99 for example. It is not very saturated, more like a sepia. Also, the Rosco greys do change the color a bit. Look at your swatch book and compare R97 and R398. R398 is fairly close to a neutral density filter. Bill

Alright, thanks Sharyn, I will have to ask about the heat resistant tape when I am out at the store next. Will save us a good deal of money I think.
:)
Oh and I think they are like, 12''x14'' opening, someone said they where that in this thread. I will have to go measure one of them to be sure.

Missed the size description I guess the heat tape is going to be the way to go
Sharyn

I would disagree with whoever taught you that. There ARE browns, R99 for example. It is not very saturated, more like a sepia. Also, the Rosco greys do change the color a bit. Look at your swatch book and compare R97 and R398. R398 is fairly close to a neutral density filter. Bill

Just because there are brown and grey gels does not mean that there is brown and grey light. Have you ever seen brown light? R99 "chocolate" looks brown when it is sitting on your table, but when used in front of alight source you just get a less intense deep amber light.

hmm..and that broken color disc for our unmarked border light. ( Very odd, no company name at all, just says BorderLight on the sticker.

...And there are vents on the back, probly leave a bit on the side to.

I don't think I would tape the roundel (color disc) if I were you... Something about the possibility falling glass... ;) Maybe (big maybe) you could use some JB Weld instead, but it would be better to just retire the lens.

As for taping the cyc light gel, I would try to leave an opening at the top rather than the sides since heat rises. The vents on the back only vent out the heat absorbed by the reflector, and won't do much for releasing the direct heat from the lamp and the beam.

Sharyn,
Yeah, told the director about the tape vs. frames and told her how much the frames would cost and she nearly died :)

Blah,
Sorry, I meant Jr. High Director. There are two drama clubs in the school.

Les,
Alright, was thinking that after posted. We barely use the border lights with roundels in them anyways because it is just to faint. Oh Also, I was thinking, instead of using a roundel in them, maybe small cuts of gels?
And alright, top, gotcha.
About the venting, would the real frame not block all the escapes anyway? But we should have a good amount of room that we can have open for venting since half the light is shining on the ceiling, tilted them pretty far back so they only shine on the midway traveler.

You can use gels in border lights, but it really depends on what type you have. Do you have the kind that use a Type A (regular household) lamp inside a reflector, or do your strip lights take a par 38/R40 lamp with a combo frame?

If combo frame, simply slide the two halves apart, replace the roundel with a gel, and flip the smaller half upside down and slide it back in. Bada bing!

If you have the A-lamp strips with the reflector and funky split ring clasp, there is no definitive way of doing this. It would likely follow the same lines as taping, like your cyc lights.

On cyc lights, usually there is a ~1/4 - 1/2" gap between the frame and the top of the lighting instrument. You would see what I mean if you had the gel frames. :)

Oh alright, I will make sure to leave an inch or so then :)

And I do not know the kind of lamps they are int he boarder lights really. The large round ones. But the roundels are in what you said, two metal pieces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back