120/208v to 138/240v transformer

danTt

Premium Member
Hi hivemind,

Was swinging a wrench last weekend on a show that came through with a 400a 120/208 primary, 138/240 secondary transformer that sat in front of dimmer and motor distro. I'm struggling to understand what purpose this minor adjustment would serve, short of maybe saving a few amps. Thoughts?

Hi hivemind,

Was swinging a wrench last weekend on a show that came through with a 400a 120/208 primary, 138/240 secondary transformer that sat in front of dimmer and motor distro. I'm struggling to understand what purpose this minor adjustment would serve, short of maybe saving a few amps. Thoughts?

Such transformers were often used in permanent installations of phase-control dimming systems. At Production Arts, we regularly specified delta-wye transformers with 208V primaries and 133/230V secondaries. This was useful in large systems with potentially long branch circuit runs. Modern dimming systems such as ETC Sensor allowed setting a maximum scale voltage on a per-circuit basis. This allowed long runs with conductor size no larger than 10AWG to achieve 120V at the outlet, compensating for I-squared-R losses in the dimmer choke and branch circuit conductors, as well as zero-crossing deadtime and SCR drop in the dimmer itself.

These transformers were typically K-rated, and had 1% adjustment taps above and below the nominal voltage to accommodate variations in utility power delivery.

The situation got a bit more complex due to changing trends:

A. Non-dimmed power delivery through relay or constant breaker-only circuits. This eliminated the voltage drop of the dimmer and choke and could result in undesirably high voltage at the outlet.
B. The appearance of 115V lamps such as the HPL, which sought to deliver normal brightness of lamps while compensating for dimmer and choke drop.

As to your description of a transformer like this in a portable system, it's hard to imagine the advantages.

ST

Such transformers were often used in permanent installations of phase-control dimming systems. At Production Arts, we regularly specified delta-wye transformers with 208V primaries and 133/230V secondaries. This was useful in large systems with potentially long branch circuit runs. Modern dimming systems such as ETC Sensor allowed setting a maximum scale voltage on a per-circuit basis. This allowed long runs with conductor size no larger than 10AWG to achieve 120V at the outlet, compensating for I-squared-R losses in the dimmer choke and branch circuit conductors, as well as zero-crossing deadtime and SCR drop in the dimmer itself.

These transformers were typically K-rated, and had 1% adjustment taps above and below the nominal voltage to accommodate variations in utility power delivery.

The situation got a bit more complex due to changing trends:

A. Non-dimmed power delivery through relay or constant breaker-only circuits. This eliminated the voltage drop of the dimmer and choke and could result in undesirably high voltage at the outlet.
B. The appearance of 115V lamps such as the HPL, which sought to deliver normal brightness of lamps while compensating for dimmer and choke drop.

As to your description of a transformer like this in a portable system, it's hard to imagine the advantages.

ST
@STEVETERRY In applications as you've described in post #3 were the transformers typically providing isolation or were buck / boost windings employed with no isolation provided? I believe I've seen the latter to save space, copper, cost and weight .
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

@STEVETERRY In applications as you've described in post #3 were the transformers typically providing isolation or were buck / boost windings employed with no isolation provided? I believe I've seen the latter to save space, copper, cost and weight .
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Definitely not buck/boost! These were fully isolated delta-wye transformers that created a separately derived service. Experience by others proved that the high impedance of buck/boost autotransformers in the presence of triplen harmonics produced disastrous power quality, with associated dimmer loss-of-sync problems. The original installation of CD-80 dimmers at NBC Studio 8H (home of SNL) comes to mind.

ST

Users who are viewing this thread

Back