120v - Favorite moving head

Having used the SS CMY/Zoom for 6 years in a rep. plot, these are what I find it's pro's and cons

Cons:

- Old optics, so it really doesn't punch thru a conventional wash. I use 750w S4's and the SS's don't cut it. I can use N/C and images, but cannot add color.

- Poor CMY mixing in the tints. Very un-even color throughout the field. The zoom with a diffusion doesn't help this at all and the SS just has an old mixing system, bottom line.

- Zoom range is 18-30 which isn't a lot.

- 3 pin XLR data connectors, and no 5 pin, so right off the bat you need to plunk down $40 for DMX adapters, as well as tie-wrapping these to the handles, if you move the fixture a lot.

- No animation effects, as found on a MAC700

Pros:

- No fans, so quiet, except when it moves quick, then it squeels like an Arkansas pig

- Double rotation on the 2 gobo wheels is nice, so you can layer and move in different directions. Gobo choice is key though, as without a lot of base intensity, layering sometimes is in-effective.

- With zoom and iris, you can a nice tight beam.

- Kinda cheap at around +$6k or so. So cheaper then a MAC700 which we recently purchased for around $8k.

Still, it's a dated unit and you fight the intensity issue. If you keep it close you then fight the beam spread, so it's really only a fixture for a very particular application.

SB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back