12v wireless practical

Bare with me explaining how I have this set up. But I have an issue I need immediate help with.

I have a 12v battery that powers a DMX decoder. Something like this.

So DC+, DC- comes from the battery. It is powering a pendant light wired with zip cord. V+ and R go to the pendant. The pendant has 12vDC lamps in it.

With no dmx plugged in, the pendant lights up.

Please what am I missing. I use these decoders all the time, with LED tape, and have never had an issue. I have switched out different boxes in case the box was faulty... same thing.

Please, we open tonight and this was a last minute add. Thanks.

Out of curiosity... what happens when you plug DMX in? It's entirely plausible that the flavor of controller in absence of control data is set to simply pass voltage. Not my preference, but plausible all the same. If similar to the one you linked there may be a dip switch combination that allows you to change that behavior.

That won't be SCR, it will be a MOSFET in open source (or is it drain? I can never remember; depends on the channel type) configuration, doing PWM on the output. It should work as the OP expects, IMO, so it may just be a configuration issue.

We use RC4 dimmers with small incandescent and LED tape interchangeably. Not a problem.

EDIT: I think, for an n-channel MOSFET, with source connected directly to 0V and the load from V+ to the drain, it's an open drain configuration.

Last edited:
Some of these drivers will cycle through effects or channels until dmx is received then they go into a controlled mode. Sometimes this is also set via a dipswitch (usually the 10th one from memory) which puts it into "fun Mode"

Regards

Geoff

Bare with me explaining how I have this set up. But I have an issue I need immediate help with.

I have a 12v battery that powers a DMX decoder. Something like this.

So DC+, DC- comes from the battery. It is powering a pendant light wired with zip cord. V+ and R go to the pendant. The pendant has 12vDC lamps in it.

With no dmx plugged in, the pendant lights up.

Please what am I missing. I use these decoders all the time, with LED tape, and have never had an issue. I have switched out different boxes in case the box was faulty... same thing.

Please, we open tonight and this was a last minute add. Thanks.

Good Morning

Some devices have a " loss of DMX " mode
This will turn on the light when DMX isn't present
I see only dip switches for addressing & termination. Is there another dip switch somewhere?

Good Morning

Some devices have a " loss of DMX " mode
This will turn on the light when DMX isn't present
I see only dip switches for addressing & termination. Is there another dip switch somewhere?
Different devices act differently. I have some little lights that need to have dip 10 on to receive DMX while others need it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back