2.4GHZ Wireless Intercoms?

jsarge36

I am sure they've been discussed here but I'm not seeing anything.

Anyone use the Telex/RTS or Clearcom models? How well do they work, or not? Would you recommend over UHF/ VHF versions?

Looking to replace are BTR dilapidated system and trying to find alternatives.

Thanks
Jim

Off the top of my head I don't know the bandwidth of our wireless Clearcom, but I will say in using them, they are less than a year old and very handy, with good battery life. The downside is the volume levels are different for those on wireless versus those hooked to the station - even with adjusting the gain on the individual packs, they always sound weaker overall, and can be unpredictable in terms of fallout on the range, but for the most part, demo it and you'll like what you hear.

I use the Tempest2400 system a lot (by ClearCom), which is in the 2.4GHz band. Overall I have no complaints. You can technically have an unlimited number of beltpacks on one base station, but once you go over 5, you have to start compromising the integrity of the system and things start to get weird. Also, I wouldn't recommend it over long distances, as someone going out of range can cause noise on the line, regardless of whether that person is trying to talk or not. But overall it's a great product, and ClearCom's new MasterBelt is a brilliant solution for the right kind of venue.

I am sure they've been discussed here but I'm not seeing anything.

Anyone use the Telex/RTS or Clearcom models? How well do they work, or not? Would you recommend over UHF/ VHF versions?

Looking to replace are BTR dilapidated system and trying to find alternatives.

Thanks
Jim

In my opinion there are two options right now. The first, is the HME DX200/DX210 and the second is Clearcom's Tempest. The HME is the lower end product that does exactly what you need it to do; wireless comms in the 2.4GHz range. No bells, no whistles and over all an entry level quality product. The tempest system is a fully fledged out digital intercom system. Point-to-point and Partyline to a theoretically unlimited number of beltpacks. The Tempest system is does the best with a already populated 2.4GHz spectrum and will not suffer due to collisions, but will cause (in my personal findings) about a 10% wi-fi through-put drop. All other systems that I've seen will take a hit from near by access points and networks. For instance, every time the HME hops with a populated channel there is medium loud click heard in all the wireless headsets. That being said, the HME has the best human-computer interaction with the voice recordings telling you that you are out of range of the base station in an upbeat female voice, rather than an LED or arbitrary beeps.

Both of them have a delay, like 800-500mS delay which to me personally in the theatrical and broadcast world is almost unusable. Until that shortens, BTRs are still (sadly) on top. The price difference between the two will determine which one to choose. If you need the features of the Tempest system and have the budget to purchase the Tempest, getting the DX200 will be crippling for you. However, if you simply need your flyman to have wireless or the ASM to walk around stage for community or HS/College theater, the DX200 will fit your needs fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back