20th Century Fox Search light effect

OTHScott

The director for our upcoming production of "The Fantasticks" wants an old time search light effect outside ( reminiscent of the old Twentieth Century Fox intros) of the theatre. What is available in the way of moving lights that can be controlled from an NSI 7524 or Stage Setter 8 control console? Space is limited, so smaller would be better.

The Stage Setter could have a chase (no pun intended) programed on the pan and tilt controls for the moving light of your choosing.

But, that might not be as bright as you would like for outside. You might be able to find a skytracker though.

[Thread=24364]This Thread[/thread] from a few weeks ago may offer some insight.

Last edited:
You very well might be able to get the real thing if you make some phone calls. I assume you are looking at renting. Moving lights will do this, but they will need some help from some haze. However, there are plenty of people out there that will bring a WWII era searchlight out to your theatre. Many people collect and restore these gems. Some companies cost an arm and a leg to come out and lamp up their light, others are just collectors who look for excuses to lamp them up and will do so for just the cost of operation. Might be worth it to look around and see if anyone owns one or two.

However, if thats not an option, there is always something like the showgun. They are made to do exactly that. You could also look into getting a Syncro or two. They are made to do this as well. Some of their older models can rent pretty cheap.

All of this being said though, both the options I listed are extremely power hungry, so make sure you have that available.

Depending on how bright you want, and how much you are looking to spend, any beam type fixture could work well. Are all of them going to light up the clouds? No. But to the people entering the building, it could work. The brighter the better. Examples incude Clay Paky's Sharpie (From what i gather, Its pretty bright), to a Martin Mac 250 Beam, Elation has their Platinum Beam 5R, just to name a few.

You could also look into getting a Syncro or two.

All of this being said though, both the options I listed are extremely power hungry, so make sure you have that available.

The Syncro lights are HUGE! Two of them lit up are entire arena! I was curious what those were when I saw TSO last year, thanks!

Are you saying that during WWII, power conservation wasn't important? Like it is with those nasty incandescence? ;)

I like the idea of finding an actual one though! And again, a Stage Setter could theoretically control at least the pan/tilt on the movers.

The old carbon arc search lights are also huge (probably 5-6ft wide by 4 ft deep), usually on the back of a truck trailer, or occasionally on a shorter flat-bed truck.

Can you get one of these in the theater ?

Or do you want the effect of a searchlight ?.

Sky trackers are the usual replacement (a poor one at that) and they're pretty big as well.

Are you saying that during WWII, power conservation wasn't important? Like it is with those nasty incandescence? ;)

The WWII search lights run off of a generator, which look similar to a Lincoln welding machine. The geni and search light are most always a package deal.

SteveB, I'm pretty sure that they are wanting this effect for outside the theatre -- a "grand opening" type effect. I see them all the time around 4th of July at fireworks stands.

I think the only other viable option besides skytracker would be syncro or shogun. I don't think your standard issue moving light would have nearly the punch. Really, the only thing that hits the sweet spot is a genuine carbon arc search light (especially with that 800,000,000 candlepower, 5' diameter, 5-mile-long beam). I have a feeling that the person who wants this effect wants it to be seen from miles away.

Last edited:

Well, seeing as the point was to find airplanes (which fly kind of high, if you havent noticed), and see them well enough to shoot them down, I would say probably no. They didnt have Radar and Heat guided missiles back in the day. If they did, I hate to know how the air war over Germany would have gone... Actually, suffice it to say I probably wouldnt be posting this message... Grandpa would have been shot down...

Mole-Richardson Brute Arc would be a modern equivalent of the WWII era searchlight. Depending on your locale, a Grip and Electric rental might have one or two. Like the searchlight, requires a trailed operator. Alternatively look into a 2 or 5k Xenon cannon.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have written down all of the resources named and will try to find the one that suits our small venue. I still have time to investigate, since the show is in October. OTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back