6-Pole Connector - Help me find the right one!

soundlight

I'm looking for a 6-pole connector that is rated for at least 120V (although most connectors have a 300, 400, or 600 volt rating these days) and at least 5 amps. That 5 amps factors in a very healthy safety margin for the intended loads. If you come up with a connector solution that only handles 4.6 amps or something like that it'll still be well within accepted safety margins. The application is making what essentially amounts to short 3-channel lamp cord snakes for low wattage lights out of 18/6 cable. The connectors will never be connected or disconnected under load.

Essentially, I want something halfway between a 6-pin XLR and the Amphenol AP6/EP6. It needs to come in both panel mount and cable mount configurations of both genders. I was thinking that some type of industrial control connector might work, or some sort of odd twistlock or random audio connector with the proper ratings.

If anyone has any suggestions for such a connector, let me know.

I might look in to used 7-pin fly cable, good idea. I was hoping for a less expensive solution, though. I figured that there wouldn't be a 6-pole twistlock, but I've seen some weird ones before. I haven't looked very hard, but Hubbell or another major connector manufacturer might make something for industrial controllers? Definitely something I'll have to look in to.

I would suggest a molex connector,

Here is a link from Digikey
They are 6 position, Rated for 9 amps and 250v.

You may need a specialized crimper, but I think they sell solder cup versions of the pins as well.

Good Luck,
Joshua Wood

Last edited:
I'd use Anderson Powerpole connectors (or similar). They're genderless, rated 600V AC or DC, and there are contacts and housings rated up to 350A. You can stack as many as you like together. With the appropriate hardware, they could be made to operate as both panel and cable mount.

1445957-2 Tyco Electronics / AMP Power to the Board
(rated up to 40A with the appropriate contact)

I have two suggestions. I happen to use a version (fewer contacts) of this connector and I love it. IP67 rated, even. Amphenol-Tuchel Ecomate Circular Connectors. Here is a link:

AMPHENOL TUCHEL|C016 30D006 100 12|CIRCULAR CONNECTOR RECEPTACLE | Newark.com

We definitely might have a winner here. Those look like excellent connectors, and they're surprisingly affordable. I can get what I need to start the project (10 male and 10 female cable mount) for under $170 plus shipping (through Mouser), which is phenomenal for nice connectors like those. Hmmm...I wonder if work has a discount with a distributor of Amphenol-Tuchel. Something to check on Monday.

If anyone has any other ideas, keep 'em coming!

8 pin Speakons meet all your criteria and are universally available

8 pin Speakons meet all your criteria and are universally available
While certainly true, a lot of folks would prefer to avoid having AC power and speaker cables with compatible connectors. NEC 640.41 forbids using compatible non-locking connectors for power distribution and speakers. While an NL8 is a locking connector, the intent of the rule is to prevent mistakes that could present a danger to persons or property.

Also, given that Neutrik specifically says speakON is NOT to be used as an AC mains connector! on the cut sheet for the NL8 connectors, that might not be an insurable configuration, and a savvy inspector could insist they be changed.

While certainly true, a lot of folks would prefer to avoid having AC power and speaker cables with compatible connectors. NEC 640.41 forbids using compatible non-locking connectors for power distribution and speakers. While an NL8 is a locking connector, the intent of the rule is to prevent mistakes that could present a danger to persons or property.

Also, given that Neutrik specifically says speakON is NOT to be used as an AC mains connector! on the cut sheet for the NL8 connectors, that might not be an insurable configuration, and a savvy inspector could insist they be changed.

And that is precisely why I didn't consider Speakon. I didn't want my cables to be interchangeable with speaker cables (thus not wanting to use AP6, either). Also, as jeffsw6 stated, the connector documentation does say that is not to be used as an AC Mains connector. I think that the Amphenol-Tuchel Ecomate connectors will work wonderfully, and they're surprisingly not much more expensive than the right Cinch Jones connectors (6 pole with the proper cable clamp in the back).

It is a 250 volt 30amp connector, in my neck of the woods only the 4 pin is generally used for speaker connections, if the rating is 250 volt it's not within Neutriks call to say it mustn't be used for 110 volt power, a rating is a rating.So if there was any likelyhood that the sound system could be confused with this lighting system then do not use them.I have used them on low voltage lighting with no problems for years with no problem, they are cheap, available, strong, and do the job.

Hang on a second here...
What plug will be fitted to the final assembly?
If the incoming mains connector is say 15A, then any intermediate connector must too be rated at 15A as well as the cabling between unless you choose to install a lower rated OCPD...
Unless the rules are different in the states...

Gah, I must've hit mark all read and didn't see this last reply. All outputs going to these devices, once the project is complete, will have 7amp breakers on them. This is way more than the lights on them will ever draw, but enough so that if someone does something stupid then there won't be an issue (7amps is the rating on the 16/7 cable we'll be using - we upped the gauge and added a chassis ground, thus the 7th wire, since the Ecomates have 7 pins). The special fixtures that these snakes will plug in to will be only wired with the ecomates, so they won't have breakouts with edisons or what have you which could result in someone using them for more power than they can handle.

I ordered the Amphenol-Tuchel 6p+e Ecomates, and got them 2 days later thanks to Mouser deciding to up my shipping from ground to 2 day for no apparent reason (first time bonus?), and they're exactly what I was looking for in a connector. I'll try to remember to post pictures of this project once I've got it moving along a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back