A good New Yorker article

gafftapegreenia

CBMod
CB Mods
Was just chatting with one of my students in lighting as it were about similar concepts today as with constantly explaining the low pressure sodium vapor concept for TBA lighting effect to a show brought up again for it’s white/black light effect in washing from the stage any color and making the audience sick given the quote for the fixtures didn’t include dousers in shutting them off after the effect... Last time the LPS wash lights were tried, they were turned on once and instantly sent back - gee, that’s powerful.. Just ain’t gonna work for this show. A year later LPS fixtures were tried again for a different show and... gee, this aint gonna work. Third year, got my quote out for two versions of them due by the 14th of next month. Designer is still considering giving the “go” this given he just timed out on three to four week lead time in getting the ballasts and reflectors for the Sportslighter assemblies with two 90w LPS lamps horizontally cut into them. We call them the “Franken Fixture” because it does dire things to you if you stand under the light too long, and the wash light itself - like a scoop with two huge tubular lamps horizontally speered thru them plus assembly for mounting don’t look ergodynamic.

This tonight more about LED flash lights - I call LED’s fake light in that they don’t give you the full spectrum of light and reletive brightness is only a color temperature trick similar to how a Mac 700 with a 7,500°K lamp seems as bright as a Mac 2K with a 6,000°K lamp. This given the concept of the HPL/HX-600 lamp theory of as bright as a FEL is true but in actual luminous output (beyond filament efficiency), it is more like a 800w not 1,000w lamp. It’s the color temperature and especially color temperature of a 115v lamp verses that of a 120v lamp which makes it seem as intense as the clumsy filiment type FEL in wasting a lot of output where it won’t get out of the fixture also, but mostly the color temperature fooling the eye as being brighter. Not persay more light output lamp to lamp (better optics help also after that.)

Got a few LED and fluorescent flash lights and mostly still halogen or incandescent ones I use dependant on the situation. Mag Light halogen I'm all about still in never going LED source for it. If I’m inside a AC distro in looking at the wires, it ain’t the LED one I’m going to choose so as to see the color of the wires I’m tracking down, it’s the full spectrum incandescent I would choose in true color rendering. LED lamps “seem brighter” mostly it’s just a higher color temperature in a similar way to why the 575w/115v HX-600 looks as bright as a 1Kw FEL lamp. Or the Mac 700 at 7.5K looks in output as bright as a Mac 2K with 6K in color temperature. Tricking the eye in being brighter as it were. This and especially more the concept that the LED lamp ain’t putting out a full spectrum of light. Bit less say in the red/yellow range of just spikes of color rather than full spectrum than blue thus a yellow or was that light blue wire might look white and that’s important to see in difference. In the case of the street lamps, it's the lower color temperatures that are in effect in not really highlighting the blue ones. But on the other hand, look at the rods verses cones night vision arguement below for counterpoint. It ain't an incandescent clip light I would choose while inside the rack, it's fluorescent or goose neck LED in them other resistantance sources during especially the summer without AC, it getting hot, though if tracking down wires I would be incandescent source.

Just as I don’t like compact fluorescents, LED’s in that they don’t give out the full spectrum of light. Both constantly getting better in attempting a better CRI, but if choosing a clip on book light say in reading at night, one still wants a incandescent, halogen or xenon lamp for it. This much less if one is to be under such a light hours on end and especially as task lighting, I would avoid LED’s the same as the article says in concept about street and building lighting. This higher color temperature verses lower color temperature difference noted in reverse of it but for similar reasons.

Switched the storage building to metal halide retrofit lamps years ago. Two choices in them, one with a higher luminous output, the other with a higher color temperature. I checker boarded the place for concept though that in the end didn’t happen. Still both had better Color Rendering Index much less it’s just plain brighter.

On the other hand, were I to fight for the other side, I would argue in what was not pointed out by the article in night vision. What was it cones or rods that are in use for night vision. Which ever they are, at night when they are in use, you ain’t gonna be able to see that full spectrum of light anyway so there might not be a problem with the lamps in use. Our bodies are not attuned to it at night. This given what is it dark sky syndrom which is about people needing full spectrum light which is important. Spend a full day in the theater day after day under say LED or fluorescent and leave at night with the sun down and you gonna get sicker more than if under natural or filament lighting as a proved concept thought.

Last edited:
On the topic of LED lighting, I just received some LED tubes (fluorescent replacement) from CreativeLightings.com | #1 Source for LED Flex Strips, LED Rope Light & LED Pod Lights | Commercial LED Lighting & LED Light Bulbs ... the tubes are made by Seesmart™ LED

The color rendering of the natural white LED tubes (4100K) is better than that of their daylight tubes (5800K), and is slightly better than cool white fluorescent, in my opinion. The tubes also provide a more steady light, where sometimes fluorescent lamps give a flickering effect, especially in cheap fixtures.

I'm in the process of trying to get my campus to explore the possibility of converting to LED lighting for higher energy efficiency and a better quality of light. The SeeSmart tubes are definitely some of the best LED products I've seen in a while, and absolutely blow the cheaper LED alternatives out of the water. Based on my rough calculations, the ROI on a complete retrofit would be 2 - 3 years, and these tubes are guaranteed for 5 years @ 24/7 operation with an 80,000 hour life to 70% of initial output... seems like a no-brainer to me!

I'll try and post some pics at some point. :cool:

Last edited:
Interesting how the forum automatically turns hyperlinks into the titles of the pages that they point to. :rolleyes:

Another thing that I just remembered... downtown Ann Arbor, Michigan is using LED lighting for all of their street lights. The effect is fantastic when compared to standard HPS lighting. Colors are vibrant and the lighting is more even than what you get from single-source fixtures like MH and HPS street lights. A+ to Ann Arbor for going green and improving the look of their downtown strip after dark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back