A pond is easy, right?

I am designing Mulan Jr. for a 6 week run this summer (performed by adults). I would really like to have a little pond on stage and have done a similar one before. I had no problems with the one I did at a different theater 5 years ago-we built a pond boundary from 2x4s, laid a pond liner over it, and then applied Jaxsan all over it and then painted the Jaxsan. It worked beautifully and was no problem for the 3 week run. My current manager is incredibly skeptical about this and feels like it's going to be a big hassle. The actors won't be getting in it-maybe just playing in it with their hands. It will be shallow (approx. 6-8" deep, then about 5' in diameter) and we have a large sink, shop vac, mops and any other equipment to deal with changing the water as necessary. My manager believes that we'll need a pump system and that it will get dirty quickly. I've talked with another, more experienced, designer on staff and he sees no problem with a shallow pool with a little chlorine thrown in to keep the nasties away. Any way I can convince my boss that this isn't going to be a big deal? I am in the theatre every day to maintain it, as well. I think going for any kind of fake water will be against the rest of the design which is a combination of realistic and stylized (realistic rocks, trees; stylized avalanche, backdrop) and our higher up members of staff and public are expecting something spectacular for this particular show.

I'm of the opinion that if you are the one that has to build it, and you think it is easy, then you are the person whose opinion matters. Personally, I might be hesitant to commit to having a pond on stage for the entire show. The majority of Jr shows I have done have a whole bunch of different settings, so I'm just not certain how practical it is to have a permanent pond on stage.

From a construction stand point, I would agree with you that it isn't really a big deal. But from a design stand point, I question wanting to make this pond a central focus of your set. If the director is on board with the pond idea and you are confident in your ability to build and maintain the pond, I say go for it.

I think that the chlorine tablets will work and maybe a big stick to swirl the water around. Maybe change the water after a week of run.

Good Morning
I keep aquariums & have had a pool in my yard for years and I can tell you
STAGNENT WATER is not a good idea.
You don’t need a full blown filter system but you should have movement
For several hours each day. That & some chlorine should be good for weeks

Thanks for your responses. Maybe a little bubbler to keep is from being stagnant plus chlorine tabs would be a good, cheap option. It's definitely not the focus of the stage-just one area of a unit set on a large thrust stage-and the director loves stuff like this. I just needed some back up opinions when I push this in production meeting this week. It seems like I've been a bit of a pushover with the last couple of shows, and now that I have something I actually want to fight for, I need evidence.

It's simple enough. How simple can it be? Just google image search 'pick up truck hot tub'.

As long as someone is around to take care of it, shouldn't be much of an issue. Something to keep in mind though is that the price of failure could be very steep for you if this thing breaks.

If it were me, I would want to "double-bag" it, just in case - Maybe with a cheaper Visqueen or something, just so there is an extra layer in case of a leak.

And from anecdotal experience (thankfully not my mistake), make sure you do not have any "soft" material draped into the water for length of period of time (especially over night). You may come back the next evening and notice your pond has been "wicked" out on to your stage.

I've done pools of similar size and similar technique for multi-week runs without any pump or movement. Just some chlorine. I don't know how often (if at all) they changed the water, but I don't think stagnancy is really that big an issue.

Use a drop in pond bubbler with filter. Lift out for the show.

As for the double bag idea, you could use a roll on crack isolation barrier. Called ROCI by tech products. Or some products from schleuter for showers base. It won't leak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back