A Practical Guide to Stage Lighting, Second Edition

dvsDave

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Senior Team
CB Mods
Fight Leukemia
Greetings;

[imgr]http://covers.elsevier.com/200/9780240811413.jpg[/imgr]I'm very pleased [not to mention pretty relieved] to announce that "A Practical Guide to Stage Lighting, Second Edition" is now shipping and available for purchase.

While Focal Press requested that the second edition to be 25% new or different material, things got a little out of hand. This new edition expands the original 300 page text to 488 pages. There are over sixty new topics, twenty new forms, and fifteen new drafting presentations.

One advance marketing copy put it this way:

“The first edition of PG2SL followed the process and explained one set of methods used to create and apply paperwork that culminated in a fully mounted lighting design for the musical Hokey. This second edition pulls back the wizard's curtain to reveal the step-by-step processes involved in the creation and realization of that lighting design. Shelley expands his focus and provides his diacritical analysis into the methods and processes that take place to create the light plot and a lighting design in the first place.”​

On Friday, October 2, Focal Press established a 20% discount code for the book when ordered through their website. Visit Focal Press: A Practical Guide to Stage Lighting, 2e - Book, order the book, and when checking out, enter the following Promotional Code: YT007 (that’s Y-T-zero-zero-seven). This offer is good until the end of October.

Thanks,
Steve Shelley ([user]MrTemplate[/user])

I might look into getting this, it sounds like they improved it a lot from everything I've heard. And of course, it's a Focal Press book which in my opinion, is the best publisher of theatre books :)

Yes!! You should purchase this book! I have not seen this new edition yet, but I will be picking up a copy shortly. I read this book years ago when the first edition came out and it was a great read!

Wow, awesome! The Shelley book has always been one of my favorite books on lighting, partially because of how it covers every aspect of a design, from conception to opening night. Definitely picking it up!

Don't forget to use the discount code mentioned in the original post to get 20% off!!!

Does anyone know if Focal Press allows you to double up discounts? It would be nice to add in my USITT discount as well.

I do own the original book but another remake that Focal Press has slated for an April 2010 release that I'm excited about is the Automate Lighting book. Or of course, there's Cadena's other book that I consider to be a must own, the Electricity for the Entertainment Electrician and Technician book.

Focal Presses focus on providing quality books is admirable. :grin: My former teacher has two books published by them so I am familiar with their entire process. They definitely strive for a quality product and I can understand where Shelley is coming from in his statement.

Hi bdkdesigns,

Currently we don't allow doubling up of discounts, use the one that gives you most off!

We really appreciate all your kind comments. You may want to check out Focal Press: Theatre to see our other theatre books. I can't confirm anything, but the discount code may work for other books too ;)

Dave - Focal Press

I was attempting to buy this book through the Australian site as the US site will not ship to Australia, and on the AUS site the price is $90... And to make matters worse the promotional code does not work on that site either... I think I will have to hold off on this purchase. Is it really worth $90?

That does sound pretty high Tomed101!! What about amazon.com??? Do they ship to you or do they have locations there?? I've never really looked into their international operations! Is that $90 US or Australian? Lets see what Dave from Focal Press, the publisher of the book, has to say? Maybe he can help you out!!

That is $90 Australian but that is still quite a lot (close to $80 USD at the moment). Amazon had it for $49.00 USD excluding shipping. It's a pity not to be able to use the 20% off promotion though.

Yeah, that does stink not to be able to use the discount. The amazon price isn't too bad though. How much is shipping to AUS?? Seems like it would come out to be at about or less than what it would be if you were able to get the 20% off of the AUS price! Still a decent deal considering!

I have discovered shipping is only $5 USD to Australia bringing the total cost to $55ish USD. Thats not too bad and I might look closer at it when I have a bit more cash. Being a broke uni student sucks sometimes.

The following quote was copied here from the thread How do i figure out the size of my school auditorium?:
I've had my new copy of the second edition lying around for the past few weeks as I haven't had time to actually crack it open. Last night I finally found a few minutes and quickly looked through to see what was new. His "Define the Performance Facility" section is brilliant!.

While I wouldn't use the term "brilliant," I will say it is very thorough and comprehensive.
Something about the Second Edition just doesn't sit right with me. I don't think texts should be a narrative on how to light a production. It's no longer a "practical guide"; it's now an epic novel, and a hokey one at that.;)

Something about the Second Edition just doesn't sit right with me. I don't think texts should be a narrative on how to light a production. It's no longer a "practical guide"; it's now an epic novel, and a hokey one at that.;)

You definitely make a valid point. At over 400 pages, it certainly isn't a "quick reference guide" - and taken by itself as an entry-level lighting book, it probably has very little to offer. I spent much of last night and most of today looking through the second edition, reading everything that was added or revised and refreshing my memory on some of the old material, and I really liked what I found. I think the reason why I really liked the first edition, and why I like the second edition even more, is that it fills a niche that no other book does. I have at least three or four books on my shelves which all tell me basically the same things about color theory, angle of light, using texture, plotting a show, and so on and so forth. However, the vast majority of the topics covered in Shelley's book are not covered in any other books that I have been able to read.

As I said, this probably would not make a good book for a brand new lighting designer, or for the guy who loves to light his community theatre productions, but doesn't want to go any further. Also, this book may not be as helpful to industry professionals who have been working at the highest level of the industry for years. However, for someone in my position, a student who has had only limited professional experience but hopes for more, this book is a gold mine. Shelley goes into great detail about creating a shop order and working with the shops, and he gives suggestions on how each type of system of instruments should be focused. He also writes from the perspective of having a paid crew and a large creative team, something that very few younger designers have experience with. Overall, his book is filled with the little tips that you probably don't think about, but that end up saving lots of time or frustration in the long run.

Personally I like the idea of a single "narrative" with lots of information. I know that if I have any questions about how to format paperwork, or how to focus my head-highs to get the most even coverage, or really anything else about the "technical" side of lighting design, I can refer to this book. On the other hand, if I have a question about which colors will look best together, or what kind of instrument would give me the effect I want, I know to look anywhere but here. Shelley (probably intentionally) does not include any insight into how he actually designed this fictional show - and I am glad of that. There are many, MANY other texts which describe every intricate detail of plotting out a show, and I really don't need yet another one.

My negative thoughts on the text: While I appreciate the detail into which he goes when describing solutions to common problems, there are some instances where it's just a little too in-depth. A perfect example: the "Masking Snafu" described on pages 308-315. While it is a problem that could easily arise, I don't think creating two charts and two to-scale section views is the best, most efficient way to solve the problem, especially when you're in the middle of a load-in and the crew is waiting for direction. There seems to be a number of these overcomplicated responses to relatively less complicated problems, although I suppose overcomplication is better than oversimplifying the issues and leaving readers confused. I also wish that he had kept some moving lights or scrollers or other non-conventional gear in the final plot, so that those topics could be addressed in the later chapters. As technology is advancing rapidly, moving lights are becoming more and more common even on small-budget shows, and having a conventional-only rig seems unlikely in the large-scale professional market in the near future. And finally, my biggest pet peeve is that he puts programs like Vectorworks and AutoCAD under the title of "Computer Lighting Design Software". ;)

And a minor plot point/continuity issue--did I miss the part where the existing house console somehow morphed from an Expression1 to Expression3? Page 98, Page 184. I may have been in the washroom during that part.

I gotta tell ya Derek, I've always been mildly impressed by your ability to include relevant glossary or wiki links into a large percentage of your posts. But this one definitely beats them all. :twisted:

Thanks. Comes from having no life and spending every waking moment on the Internet and reading theatre books. I don't recommend it.:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back