A use for old gels

For those computer nerds out there who want to run their computer monitors as red and blue 3-D, my friend got a pair of the movie glasses, took out the polarized lenses and popped in a set of those. He can now game in 3-D.

I don't see any reason to get rid of cut color unless it is burned out or faded. I save every cut of color from every show that meets those criteria. So, I have a large filing system where we store cut color and uncut sheets. When I get the paperwork for a new show we pull color from stock first and then buy what we need to complete the show. This saves quite a bit of money.

You have to consider that there are colors that are not worth saving like deep blues that tend to fade quickly. However, I see no reason for a school, community, or regional theatre to just toss color after every show. it may be a consumable, but not every cut is single use.

Sadly, I work in the corporate-events side of production, and there is SOOO much waste of expendables. Now I have more of a house position where gel is sorted and re-used. I've also started to try and get people to collect the tie-line at strike, if only to save me the frustration of cutting up an entire new roll at the next event.

As for uses, I once made a lampshade for a hanging lamp out of an old swatchbook. It looked awesome, and I received many compliments about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back