Conventional Fixtures Altspot 1000

Sglemon

I’m helping a family member with the old spotlight at their church, it’s an Altspot 1000 and in pretty good condition. But I wanted to buy them some extra lamps since I have no idea when the current one was put in. To make sure I got the right one I went to take it out and see what it was, but for the life of me cannot figure out how to get the lamp out. Everything is completely stuck. What am I doing wrong? I’d assume the reflector would slide away from the lamp and I’d be able to pull the lamp out of the socket but it won’t budge.

IMG_1373.jpeg

I don’t remember how they come out, but I remember it being a pain when I was in high school. As far as the lamp itself, it should have a 1000w FEL in it. Though personally I would try to swap them out for the 750w GLD lamps.i haven’t tried one in them, but we’ve gotten better performance from them in everything else from that era. Brighter, smoother light, and a slightly higher color temperature.

Yeah those are a pain to get out. If I remember correctly you have to pull the lamp out of the socket and toward the reflector, and there is JUST enough room to tilt the front of the lamp down and pull the rear of the lamp
up and out. Degree of difficulty 10.0. If you are really unlucky, the lamp contacts will have welded themselves to the socket and make it extra difficult to remove (and replace the socket too). Good luck.

BEFORE MOVING ANYTHING, it's probably a good idea to mark the position(s) on the rails with a Sharpie or similar. Move the rear socket mounting plate as far BACK (away from the stage) as possible. Move the reflector mounting plate as far FORWARD (TOWARD from the stage) as possible.

Wearing leather gloves, wrap a clean shop towel around the envelope (glass part of the lamp). Grasp the lamp and pull straight out making sure to stay 90° to the mounting plates. Keep squeezing and pulling until something gives. The key is making sure to put pressure behind the "lip" of the socket--notice how the metal rolls out slightly. The worst case scenario is you break both the socket and the lamp, but you were planning on changing them anyway and they each cost about $20 from your friendly local supplier. I agree in trying the 750W GLD. That lamp was not invented until 20-30 years after the fixture, or they would have used it. The TP22 socket is exactly the same for both.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Once you get everything dis-assembled and clean, post more pictures and we'll talk you through re-assembly.

Lots more threads on this topic should you wish to read ahead. https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/altspot-1000-q.25831/ https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/altspot-1000-lamp-failure.19571/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back