A2 Kit

Mike R

I haven't found any compiled threads about A2 Supplies and resources. Curious as to what everyone keeps in their A2 Kit.
Any interesting tricks or tools? Also, does anyone have any resources that they can share? I think it would great to just have a place we can all look to for some of this info.

I haven't done a musical in ages, but for head or ear mounted lavs I have in my box:
* small black wig clips, each with a black elastic band looped through the grommet holes
* extra thin black elastic cord to make halos
* dark green floral wire
* ear loops, both purchased Telex loops and handmade coat-hanger loops
* Hellerman tool and bands
* skin cleaning wipes

Rig Making:
Mic Coloring:
  • Markers: Copic Markers Skin Tones, plus whatever singles you pick up at art supply stores (Coloring Mics)
  • Various Meltonian Aerosol Shoe Paints (Coloring Mics)
  • Dulling Spray
  • Spray Adhesive
  • Various Colored Flocking Powder (Think the stuff you put on model train sets) - Helps to mottle toupee clips in salt and pepper hair and to get them to stay better in textured hair
Adhesing Microphones to Actors:
Moisture Reduction:
  • Bulk, Unlubricated Condoms
  • Cotton Rounds
  • Silica Gel
  • Canned Air - Don't be that producer who sends me a link to the "rechargeable" canned air, I would love to go green, but it doesn't generate enough PSI!
  • Distilled Water (for sweated out mics)
General Accessories:
  • Mic Caps (Flat, Soft Boost, High Boost, etc., and don't be a monster - keep them sorted according to brand and type)
  • Wind/Pop Filters (Again, keep them sorted for the mic they go to)
  • Paint Caps (Example, or those red caps if you buy MKE-1/MKE-2)
  • Batteries - In addition to the regular AA/AAA/9V I try to carry CR2032 and 123 batteries because I find those a lot in headlamps, guitar pickups, and pedals
Fixing Things:
  • Spare Antennas (If removable)
  • Spare Connectors (for wireless mics and instrument cables, Bias limiting resistors if needed, crimping tools, soldering iron, etc. if needed)
Tools:
  • Flush Cutter - This is the one true flush cutter, buy many, they will be stolen
  • QBox
  • Mic Comparator
  • Soldering Iron (+ Solder)
  • Panavise
  • RF Explorer - Only get if you know what you're doing...WSUB1G is all folks in theater need until you're doing something big, then the 3G or 6G combo and Signal Generator become cool
  • RF Software - I use Vantage (RF Venue) and IAS (Professional Wireless) - But again, only get if you know what you're doing...
  • Cable Tester - Make sure it does the usual, don't spend too much money - TS/TRS, MIDI, BNC, XLR
  • Video Tester - No idea what's up with this model but it keeps jumping in price, was $80 2 years ago, and $100 last year...
  • Generic 1x1 MIDI Interface w/MIDI Snoop (MAC) or MIDI-OX (PC) installed on your computer -- I love iConnectivity's products, I used to recommend cheap $10 generic Chinese-made ones, but certain models have issues sending the stop byte on SysEx messages, spend just a little more and you get something rock solid
Quality of Life:
  • Things to Hold Things - Fanny Pack/Apron/Belt Holster/etc.
  • Headlamp
  • Camping Hammock
Edit:
Forgot to add -
Rat Tooth Comb to get mics into hair
Painters tape to block off hair line/neck line while coloring
iPad/Laptop with Excel/Pages/FileMaker for RF Tracking
Electrical Tape/Clear Tape/P-Touch/Scissors (Labelling supplies)
Snark Tuners/Drum Key (ehhh, debatable but you'll be musicians friends - if the budget will allow I get the music contractor/MD to get me string brands and keep an extra set on me for a show run)

It's a pretty thorough list because it's my base purchase list when I work on new productions (hence the availability of links, Amazon Wishlists/Excel Tracking are a great thing)

You see no adapters, cables, or anything -- I consider that the responsibility of the show to carry. When I worked outside of NYC I used to carry a few adapters but between my toolboxes and workboxes I only carry super specialty adapters that are non-rentable items or quality of life items for my personal workflow

Last edited:
@themuzicman has a super indepth answer for you. My A1/A2 production kit includes:

Transpore mic Tape/ Topstick
Cotton Balls
Individual Alcohol prep pads
Batteries, A couple extra mini boxes of AA, and AAA Batteries (I don't generally work with 9v's but I usually have 1 or 2 hanging around for the odd Guitar Pickup or Qbox cable tester replacement.)
Head Lamp
Sharpies, at least 1 black, and maybe a green/blue/red.
Cable Tester (the One listed by themuzicman is the one that I actually have!)
Small tool kit: Small "computer repair Kit" little needle nose pliers, tiny flat and phillips head eye glass screw drivers, mini flashlight, etc.
Large tool Bag with also 2 Normal sized flat and phillips head screw drivers each, wire cutters, multi tool

2 xlr jumpers (2 ft)
1/8th to Stereo RCA
Whirlwind Mono summing device "MonoPod"
1/8" to 1/8" cable
(2) each of FF and MM xlr couplers, TRS FF, RCA couplers
(2) XLR splitters, both directions
(1) 15ft 1/4" TS cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back