AC dimmed mains to DMX out converter?

dj41354

Does anyone know of a box that will take dimmed AC mains in, and as a result, send out a DMX data stream that can be used to run a light such that the light appears to be being dimmed by the original AC mains dimmer? I can't seem to find one of these, but I suspect they must exist.... Thanks in advance!

I shouldn't be answering but there arelots of 0-10v to DMX converters - or use to be - including many consoles that have analog inputs. Just transform and maybe rectify the mains dimming. Some precautions required.

OK tell me why I'm full of it.

I shouldn't be answering but there arelots of 0-10v to DMX converters - or use to be - including many consoles that have analog inputs. Just transform and maybe rectify the mains dimming. Some precautions required.

OK tell me why I'm full of it.
I think it deprnds inpart on what you mean by AC Mains dimmed.

If you mean an auto-transformer or resistance dimmer, you could probably use a step down transformer to get to 0-10 volts and use a converter as Bill suggests. Trials and scR dimmers would not work well with a transformer. Not sure about other dimmer types.

This seems like an amazingly convoluted setup. Why would you need DMX dimming controlled by line voltage dimming? What is the actual practical application of the project?

This seems like an amazingly convoluted setup. Why would you need DMX dimming controlled by line voltage dimming? What is the actual practical application of the project?
Agreed.. It was a specific request from a customer. I don't know exactly why they asked for this, but I'm guessing they don't have DMX infrastructure on his set (I think it's some kind of TV production set) and they want to install some DMX controlled lights. I spent a little time searching for a box that would do this, unsuccessfully. Thought I'd see if anyone here had run into it. It's sounding like other options need to be investigated... Thanks again for the help!

Yeah I think whatever you use would have to be custom built. Check out Doug Fleenor and ask him about it. Also it could be done with a micro processor to take a reading from the mains, convert to a percentage, then send that percentage to DMX. Convoluted but may be an interesting experiment.

Here's one http://www.pathwayconnect.com/content/view/103/29/ and the Fleenor http://www.dfd.com/anl2dmx.html

If there is a console I'd still look to see if it had an analog input - which could then be patched to any dmx address I think.

A small transformer and rectifier would probably work suffice - some dimmed mains might require a ghost load.

People ask a how to question here and I try to respond to that issue, as opposed to tossing what they want to do and trying to do something else - however in this case a little more about the specific application would at least be interesting, like why do you want a mains dimmer to DMX output? (I imagined a play, set backstage with an old piano board, and wanting the actor to actually control dimmers with the piano board.)

If they just need DMX control of a couple fixtures/dimmers, there are plenty of small, portable DMX controllers that can be had for not too much money. That would be a far more logical route to take I would think.

If they just need DMX control of a couple fixtures/dimmers, there are plenty of small, portable DMX controllers that can be had for not too much money. That would be a far more logical route to take I would think.

Ditto Alex's comments

I can't think of anything that is going to convert dimmed A.C. voltages into DMX and can see no practical application for this.

Time to re-think what you are trying to achieve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back