Addressing Elation 36 LEDs on an Expression 3

aluminous

Hello-

I am new to intelligent fixtures, though i am familiar with patching on an ETC board. I rented 6 Elation LEDs, and right now they are ganged together so that channel 513 is red, 514 is blue and 513 is green. Is there a way to readdress them so that I can control each fixture individually? My control is an ETC Expression 3. My concern is that right now they are patched in one dimmer. My thought is that there should be a way to address them either on the instrument, with the dip switches, or on through the board. However, I am not sure where to start.

thanks!

Since they are LED's I would bet they don't actually run off a dimmer but a DMX channel, I'm not familiar with the Elation 36 but I know ETC had a setup that let you control multiple DMX addresses using only a single Channel. Where you want to address the patch issue is on the Expression. They are probably all patched to those specific channels. I would consult your manual on the specifics of how to re-patch those fixtures but I would bet it just lies in how your rig is patched according to which DMX addresses are patched to which channels.

"Elation 36" is not a product. Are you referring to the Design LED 36: Elation Professional - Professional Lighting Products ? I have used these a few times, but never an Expression. But basically you want to find the fixture profile that controls these lights, load it into the Expression, and patch wherever you want. Then on the DLED36 you'll need to set the dip switches to the appropriate DMX address. Whether you address the fixtures first and tell the console where they are or vice versa is up to you and what works best for your setup. I usually address my fixtures then patch at the console, but only because that works for me.

By the way, I see you're in NJ. Mind if I ask where you rented these lights? Also, if you ever need some hands on help, let me know. My shop is in central Jersey, exit 8 on the Turnpike, so if it's portable gear you have you're welcome to come by and we can figure it out. If it's installed then I may charge a small service call fee, but I'm always happy to help a fellow CB'er.

...so that channel 513 is red, 514 is blue and 513 is green. ...
aluminous, are you sure that it's not 513=Red, 514=Grn, 515=Blu? Here's what I suspect is happening: All six fixtures are addressed to 001, you're using DMX Out#2 to control them, and the Expression3 is default patched 1-to-1. To achieve individual control, address the fixtures (using the pesky binary dipswitches) as 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16. The red of each fixture will then be channel/dimmer 513, 516, 519, 522, 525, 528. Add 1 to each # for green, and 2 to each # for blue.

A better method for control, that doesn't change the addressing or softpatch, is to treat the fixtures as moving lights. See the collaborative article Programming Moving Lights on an ETC Express(ion) - ControlBooth . You'll need a "generic 3ch RGB LED personality"; if you can't find one, let us know.

Thanks Bishopthomas and derekleffew. I was able to change the addresses on the fixtures individually, and then program them into submasters for easy access. I will have to learn how to load personalities for moving lights, but since my operators are students and my tech starts soon, I went with the solution I could figure out. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back