Design Advantages to using a Colored Scrim.

I honestly would just like to know what effects/techniques/etc. work for you when using a white or blue scrim and what you can do with those colors that you can't do with a black scrim.

We know that most often black scrims are used for reveals, and that's great, I'm just wondering about different ways to apply light/color to a white or blue scrim that can create an interesting look.

Would the lighter colored scrims basically act as a see-through cyc? Like if being used along with a bounce...Or can they be more useful than just that?

Thanks!

I honestly would just like to know what effects/techniques/etc. work for you when using a white or blue scrim and what you can do with those colors that you can't do with a black scrim.

We know that most often black scrims are used for reveals, and that's great, I'm just wondering about different ways to apply light/color to a white or blue scrim that can create an interesting look.

Would the lighter colored scrims basically act as a see-through cyc? Like if being used along with a bounce...Or can they be more useful than just that?

Thanks!

We made really nifty use of a blue scrim once, to make a sky look. I have also used white scrims for cycs that can go away for a reveal, and thats about it. If I was buying soft goods for a theater, I would have a white scrim, a black scrim, and thats it.

Thanks!

I'm not sure what look you're after but I worked for a band back in the day that used all white lighting, no gels at all except red, green and blue cyc's and a white scrim behind black shark and the colors added so much depth to the lights, quite dramatic. You could get everything from a purple sunset-type effect to bold, strong colors that really added texture without seeing the scrim unless lit, so you still got the full black effect. At one point in the show, a full 40' of front trussing with the entire inside row all Par 64 ACL's would come on (aimed straight down, all parallel) with only the blue cyc's on, always my favorite point in the show. Add scrolls versus cyc's and the movement of the colors adds even more. For me, uplighting of backdrops and panels is something that adds a lot of bang for minimal "bucks"...

Jack

sharkstooth is what the weave is called. Shark for short.

proxy.php

My high school recently did Fiddler on the Roof, and we used a white scrim for the Chava Ballet Sequence. It was quite amazing, really. I wasn't the designer, but I had a pretty decent say on this ligthing.
We had two fence gobos that met at the middle to show a tree. We had red leaves gobos, and green light from the top to almost wash into an amber with the red while still keeping hints of green and red.
The singing happened in front of the scrim, and the dancing behind the scrim.

proxy.php

My high school recently did Fiddler on the Roof, and we used a white scrim for the Chava Ballet Sequence. It was quite amazing, really. I wasn't the designer, but I had a pretty decent say on this ligthing.
We had two fence gobos that met at the middle to show a tree. We had red leaves gobos, and green light from the top to almost wash into an amber with the red while still keeping hints of green and red.

proxy.php

Share more over on the Hey, I thought we could share pictures of our shows... thread and join the Pacific Northwest CB Crew group. I ran followspot on a Fiddler production once and it a show that I would love to design for.

proxy.php

Did the gobos come from the back or the front?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back