Advice on E6 Microphone Application and Use.

Dalekkahn

Hello, I'm the sound operator/Head of Sound at my High School and we are doing the Little Mermaid Jr. next week. We just got the headsets (Countryman E6 mics) and I'm still trying to find the best way of using them. I found the online fitting guide (countryman.com/download/E6%20directional%20booklet.pdf) and molded the earpieces today. Right now we have a little over half with the cardioid end cap, and the rest are capped with hyper-cardioid end caps. Does anybody have any suggestions for which is better? Another problem is the wig of one of the actresses is hitting the mic a lot and getting tangled at times.

We are using 13 of the E6s and have it going though audio-technica atw body packs (I will update once I figure out which atw it is), through two paddle antenna, and into an antenna distributor. We have one set for backup and a wireless handheld for backup. Currently I am taping the boom about an inch from the mic because there is a fair deal of dancing and spinning in the play.

Any tips or advice about using wireless mics, correct placement, or just general ways to keep myself from loosing my mind are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Chris.

First of all, there are two types of E6's: Omnidirectional and directional. The cardioid and hypercardioid caps are only applicable to the directional version of the E6. The Omni E6 still has protective caps, but they affect the response of the element's high frequency presence peak. Make sure you really know what the caps you're putting on your elements are doing.

In terms of fitting the earsets, the guide that Countryman gives really is a good start. Obviously, make sure that you are fitting them to the actor that will be wearing them. When they are fitted correctly, the earsets should not be straining in any way to pull the tape up. If this happens it probably means that the earsets aren't fitted correctly. Make sure that the element isn't bent inward so it is directly in front of the mouth or under the nose. This will result in a ridiculously annoying noise every time the actor exhales. Taping an inch from the element sounds about right, and I usually add another piece of tape about halfway down the neck as well.

As for the wig issue, I would recommend using a different type of mic, perhaps a Countryman B6, and actually mounting somewhere near the forehead. Depending on the type of wig, there are different ways you can rig it.

A few general tips:
Replace batteries once every show to be safe; you can probably get away with 2 rehersals on one set of batteries.
Make sure you stress microphone care to everyone. Students will find ways to destroy them in about 30 seconds if they aren't informed/threatened periodically.
If your having trouble keeping track of whose mic is who's when their not in use, take a card table and lay out a grid on top with tape. Label each grid square with a character who has a mic. At the end of the night, all actors put their mics on their square, and you instantly know if someone walked out with their belt pack. Also, label each pack with at least a number corresponding with its square on the table.
Make sure your antennas have line of sight to the stage.
Hope this helps a bit.

Yea, the person who was in charge of sound before me set up everything well labeled body packs and cases for them, which helped out a lot. Unfortunately the sound budget is non-existent, so other types mics are not an option. I believe that the mics are directional, and go on the right ear, but I haven't checked, as we are pressed for time. Some of the mics seem to end up really close to the actors face no matter how I mold it, about a half inch from the corner of the actors mouth. Would it be better to try and mold it so the element is forward more, or should I try molding the boom so I can tape it and then the boom curves away from the face? Thank you all for your help.

You can throw an E6 on any ear - not just the right ear. Mic placement is a versatile thing - and placement is determined by a number of things - including costuming (hats, jewelry, wigs, hair, etc.) that may interfere with the mic, as well as the blocking of the play, if you have two people who talk into each others faces then you can flip sides to avoid comb filtering and other phasing issues.

That being said, when I fit a boomed mic on someone for the first time with no idea of the obstacles I throw it on the ear, and have the actor smile. I try to have the element end up where the cheek ends, with enough room to get my pinky finger underneath. As time progresses I experiment once I find issues until everything is settled out. Practice makes perfect!

A little transpore or other tape may be needed to keep the placement steady.

(ps, awesome username)

Tell everyone that they MUST NOT use the mic or cable to help remove the medical tape that's keeping their mic in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back