Advice on "Ideal" Inventory

When I arrived at my current University, we had 6 Source Four 26 degrees, 16 36 degrees, 5 Altman 6x12s, 20 PARs, 3 Ovation LED cyc lights. We purchased 3 LED PARs (Chauvet COLORado Tour Zooms) {not my choice}. I was just allowed to purchase 10 26 degrees and 10 PARs. I'm about to write a grant for more instruments. I need some advice on what to add to my inventory.

I have an Element and a refurbished dimmer rack (96 dimmers). I have a catwalk in the house and the "death bar" over the apron - named by someone way before me, coves, and 4 electrics on stage. The theatre has a 40' wide, 25' deep, 18' tall procenium opening. I'm very lucky in that the entire fly system was replaced 5 years ago. (I am unlucky in that on the 1st electric, the contractor did not run wire for 5 circuits out of 10 to the dimmer - working on that). The circuits do not work that should power the death bar, so power comes from the coves. I have that on my list of mysteries to solve.

My VERY basic rep plot has 15 areas with 2 color front light, 2 colors of down light, which leaves 6 36 degrees for specials (side lights with gobos or back lights for the other side of a door).

I know I want to replace the 6x12s with 26 degrees. I need irises.

What do y'all think?

When I arrived at my current University, we had 6 Source Four 26 degrees, 16 36 degrees, 5 Altman 6x12s, 20 PARs, 3 Ovation LED cyc lights. We purchased 3 LED PARs (Chauvet COLORado Tour Zooms) {not my choice}. I was just allowed to purchase 10 26 degrees and 10 PARs. I'm about to write a grant for more instruments. I need some advice on what to add to my inventory.

I have an Element and a refurbished dimmer rack (96 dimmers). I have a catwalk in the house and the "death bar" over the apron - named by someone way before me, coves, and 4 electrics on stage. The theatre has a 40' wide, 25' deep, 18' tall procenium opening. I'm very lucky in that the entire fly system was replaced 5 years ago. (I am unlucky in that on the 1st electric, the contractor did not run wire for 5 circuits out of 10 to the dimmer - working on that). The circuits do not work that should power the death bar, so power comes from the coves. I have that on my list of mysteries to solve.

My VERY basic rep plot has 15 areas with 2 color front light, 2 colors of down light, which leaves 6 36 degrees for specials (side lights with gobos or back lights for the other side of a door).

What do y'all think?
@Debra P. Holmes I think you've given this a lot of thought, what's your real question?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

What do y'all think?

What kind of events use the space ?. That can drive the inventory. Straight theater maybe wanting LED ellpsoidals, variety/music wanting LED Pars. Maybe some moving LED Pars so your not dragging out a Genie to focus. Also think about peripherals, relays, DMX nodes, etc..... as well, who’s designing and what do they want ?, but without knowing how you use the space, hard to go further

Hi y'all!

Yes, I've thought about this a bunch! @RonHebbard I design how I design and know what I would use and what I would not. I may not be here next year, so wanted to get opinions of what others like to have in a space. I've never arrived at a theatre (College/University level) that didn't have the basics. Arriving with only 50 instruments was just one of the many challenges I face here. Before I purchased those last 20 instruments, I could not light the space. . . (at my last college, I had 500 instruments)

@SteveB We do 2 "straight" plays per year, 1 musical, 1 opera, 1 showcase, and sometimes something student directed (2 person department). The apron is used a couple of times per year by the chorus (they have their own shell). I design. We have wifi DMX (?), so I'm not sure about changing from incandescent to LED. . .

@BillConnerFASTC I'm at 70, whew!

Thanks!!!

full

Some obvious stuff,

- Finish purchasing S4 ellipsoidals to have consistency in washes/area's. Not sure I'd buy more S4 Pars, you have enough now to do the washes you might need, as it's now 15 area's x 2 colors. Buy ellipsoidals instead.
- I'd swap the 1-2-3 electric pipe ends to the cove, replacing the Altmans. Put the Altmans elsewhere.
- If the backdrop is an important design feature, painted backdrops or cyc, then finish purchasing 3-5 additional Ovation strips to get an even wash.
- Purchase power systems for any movers or LED's. If a Sensor rack, then either constant breaker modules, or replay modules. It's important to not be powering this stuff on dimmers.

Based on your description of the deathbar, I'd recommend some multi-use LED fixtures that you can focus and forget and maybe that (fitting?) name will disappear.
Those could be Lustr S4s or Colorsource Pars or both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back