Control/Dimming Advice on Lighting Software?

Hi there!

Here´a my scenario:
I´m live light designer working mostly with fast and heavy music. Using my Martin SCX-600 scanners because they have much faster and aggresive movement ability than moving heads. For more passive lightning on performers i use few 16 PAR56 on 8 Ch.just to change main colour of stage or put on some chase, and 8 PAR 56 to blind the audience. Anyway, after some time i´m gonna change out my dimmers and PAR´s to LED´s. Well, except blinders. Also have 1,5kW strobe and DMX controlled smoker.

So, I´m looking for sofware (maybe to use with MIDI controller or some side wing) best corresponding my needs. As I mentioned before, 70% of bands I´m working with play fast and heavy music. So, I have to react quickly to create correct atmosphere. This demands fast chases, chase reverses, chase holds, ability to change chase step fade time and speed by tap-sync button and so on. Many of software lightning controllers are great at programming, but don´t give me that kind of flexibility I need at live shows.

Do you guys know, what kind of software could fit me? Or maybe I should go console? :?:

Thanks

It sounds like you'll want a console. However, if that's out of the budget, I was surprised what I could get out of grandMA onPC with an old 48-channel conventional console hooked up to DMX in. I had 48 executor faders – more than a top of the line full-size grandMA, for less than a tenth of the price! (don't have all the executor buttons though)

DHD Blog » Groundswell Lighting

I don't have a whole lot of practical experience yet, so I'd love to know what other people would recommend.

Do any good software solutions exist for this kind of busking job?

I second Magic Q if you really want to go the software route, with its multiple playback pages, simple mode that is fader based for working with only a few fixtures, and overall high capabilities.

Magic Q can take a while to figure out......if one doesn't understand the concepts behind it. I had a breakthrough about two months ago, and since then, I've found a "method to the madness" that works for me. By using a second monitor with my laptop, mastering the window based layout, and memorizing the keyboard shortcuts and programming syntax, my proficiency level has greatly increased.

Is it more difficult to work with Magic Q when working so often with Express(ion) and EOS Family products? Yes. Impossible? No.

Back again!

So, since i was here last time, I ran through many softs and DMX desks. But Chamsys MagicQ leave me deeply impressed. There is so much everything on that soft (comparing to how simply and even vintage it looks), that for the first few days I even didn´t knew where to start. After some time I´m getting familiar with it and really enjoying the process.

Thanks for the advice! ;)

I second Magic Q if you really want to go the software route, with its multiple playback pages, simple mode that is fader based for working with only a few fixtures, and overall high capabilities.

Magic Q can take a while to figure out......if one doesn't understand the concepts behind it. I had a breakthrough about two months ago, and since then, I've found a "method to the madness" that works for me. By using a second monitor with my laptop, mastering the window based layout, and memorizing the keyboard shortcuts and programming syntax, my proficiency level has greatly increased.

Is it more difficult to work with Magic Q when working so often with Express(ion) and EOS Family products? Yes. Impossible? No.

Hi, I am new to Magic Q and am still seeking that magic breakthrough that you have unearthed. Was this just from reading the manual (which I find difficult) or could you advise on another learning tool/process please....??

Another DMX control system is the one I manufacture and distribute, the Bluelite X1 controller.
It offers the Live Panel to rapidly recall over 1,000 cue sequences for live performances which can be selected and recalled using the computer, an external DMX console or a MIDI controller. You also have simultaneous access to the main Submaster page, giving you the functionallity of a standard console as well.

If you are open to a console, the Elation SHOWDESIGNER line could be what you want. We used to have a bunch of mirror lights along the line of the 600's. It takes some work to program, but the "Beat" button is possibly the best I have used. You can tap in 16ths and, if your lights can keep up, it will chase them at 16ths.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back