AF1000

lighttechie5948

How many channels does the AF1000 take, and what does each channel control?

I looked through the manual, but I'm a bit confused on how they are controlled by which channels.

Thanks,
Joe

From the manual:
You can control the with DMX seven different ways. ...
The most-used mode is three channel, personality dipswitches 3,4,5, ON:
1-Intensity [Values from 0-255 are scaled by the fixture into 64 intensities.]
2-Duration [Values from 0-255 are scaled by the fixture into 64 durations.
00%= 4 milliseconds, FL= 0.5 seconds]
3-Rate [Values from 0-255 are scaled by the fixture into 64 rates.
00%= "one shot", FL= 120 flashes per second.]

This matches the library file found in most consoles.

Last edited:
Beware the duration channel. I call this the "overheat" channel. These units overheat fairly easily.
Good point, David; but I'd use "thermal out" rather than "overheat." Nothing bad happens when this occurs, other than not being able to fire the lamp for a time, usually something between 30 sec. and 2 minutes if I recall.

Lightwave AF1000s duty cycle

Hey guys,

Long time lurker, first time posting. A local club is running a handful of these fixtures and they look pretty good strobing, as in they're pretty bright. The pattens are great which is obviously an attribute of good programming. I talked briefly with their lighting guy asking details about how they're setup but he wouldn't share much.

He has a cue or 2 that really make them really impressive. They literally wash the room out for a few seconds, which means he's cranking the duration up. He's using them as blinders and it looks amazing. I want to do this.

So I picked up a few of them with various problems and have been working with them, I managed to get one up and running for now. It has a brand new standard bulb in it and it's on a 110v/20A feed.

The strobing looks good and it's working correctly but if I crank the duration up and trigger it once [just one flash] the light flashes for 1 second or less, then times out and won't come back for 4-5minutes. The fixture isn't even warm. This is a pretty crappy duty cycle so I'm wondering if it's a characteristic of the fixture or this is isolated and it's just this one having this problem.

I have no experience with these so I'm hoping maybe you guys could chime in. I'd also love any programing tips you guys might have for these to get the most out of them.

Thanks!
-J

Re: Lightwave AF1000s duty cycle

The SO (110v) lamp times out very quickly,
If you want that Blinder effect, you will need to run them at 208, and with the HO lamps.
Even then they do not last long in "blinder mode" maybe 5 seconds tops.
Atomics have a much better duty cycle overall, in case you run across any of those used.

Thanks Josh,

I'm going to throw a 220v plug on this to see what that looks like. I do a lot of mobile shows without a distro so I'm thinking the Atomic might be a better choice.

I know those run 110 or 220 but is the duty cycle decent enough on 110 to give me that blinding wash for a few seconds?

-J

Make sure you check which version of the lamp you have!

With the Standard output lamp, you must operate in standard mode.
If you are using the High Output lamp, you may operate in Architectural mode, OR Special Effect mode if at 208v.

See Page 5 of the Manual

Users who are viewing this thread

Back