Wireless Alerting a cast member to a faulty wireless microphone!

techietim

Hi All,

So I will be one of the Sound Assistants for this years Pantomime at my theatre. This'll be the second year we use wireless mics but had a lot of issues last year so want to get it right this time!

The question is, if one of the cast members microphone dies, then how is the easiest way to get their attention to move to the edge of the stage to collect a hand mic from a member of crew at an appropriate point.

Any ideas much appreciated!
Thanks all :)

fresh batteries before every show seems like the easier solution. On stage I think it is pretty unlikely that the actor will see a red dot moving around on them, while everybody else watching that person will see it.

This is without question one of the hardest things to do during a show. Ideally you've had the pre-production discussion with your cast and they know what the contingency plan is in the case of a failed mic. They know exactly where the replacement will be and when they have time in the script to retrieve it. But that really just comes down to performance saviness. They need to be able to recognize that they no longer sound the same in the house without the PA and break off to go get the back-up. It could also be another actor simply delivers it to them on stage. Remember, audiences will tolerate an obvious mic hand off during a show MUCH better than they will tolerate a 10-20 minute long scene without properly hearing a lead. Plus it's a panto, you have some room for actor ad-libbing to help you quickly swap rigs on another actor.

Before it gets to the point of having to swap a mic out during a show, make sure you're doing everything in your power to prevent microphones from breaking in the first place. There will always be that actor who sweats out a microphone once in a while, or an RF hit on an odd night, but you can definitely minimize your issues with a few steps.

First, fresh batteries in every microphone every night.
Second, once the fresh batteries are on, take your microphones to FOH and crack each channel open at the console to make sure the microphone is working. Play with the connector and the entire wire on the element to make sure there are no shorts in the microphone connection
Third, reinforce every microphones strain relief if at all possible. Some manufacturers microphones come with better strain relief systems than others. For example DPA's microphones typical point of failure is right at the connector, while Countryman's point of failure is right behind the ear on the ones that have the removable bit up there.

When a microphone does drop during a show, figure out what the issue is. Did the actor sweat out? Can blowing the mic out with some canned air fix the problem in a quick manner? Is there a short in the microphone? RF Hits? Once you go through a few bad mics you'll learn how to assess the situation quickly. If it's an RF issue, you know to simply swap the transmitter. If it's a short in the connector you know to just swap the microphone element. If it's sweat, the first thing I'd do is to blast it with some air, if that's no good then replace the entire element.

If RF hits are a repeat thing over many nights, especially in a stationary show, you need to look at a re-evaluation of your wireless coordination, and perhaps call a service or purchase a license to something like IAS and find out how to get intermod to a minimum.

For getting actors attention -- do the actors not exit stage at regular intervals during this show? If the scenes are short enough, I typically mute the channel and ride out the scene, trying to cross-mic if the scene permits. If you have a play like A Chorus Line, where you have 45 minutes of not a single entrance or exit, that's a bit harder...the method I have used before is a large Dry Erase Board, you write the name of the actor who needs to be swapped, and you stand in the wing in their line of sight. When they see it, they know to make a graceful exit. The other method I use (if you know your show fairly well), is to have an actor about to enter deliver the message to whoever has to exit and get a mic swap.

I would strongly persuade you to NOT even consider using the laser suggestion. If you want to be responsible for blinding someone, that's on you.

Knowing what exactly is wrong on your setup will greatly reduce the time it takes to fix things -- especially if it's just a transmitter swap. An element swap always takes a lot longer, especially if you have it pinned through a hairline. If I only have 30 seconds to swap a mic and it's mounted under a wing/through a hairline/etc I have a quick pack prepared, I find the transmitter, unplug the old mic and let it hang, and have a new mic with an elastic band halo and simply slap that on an actors head, plug in the mic, and send them on their way. I'll clean up their entire setup the next time they are offstage.

Before it gets to the point of having to swap a mic out during a show, make sure you're doing everything in your power to prevent microphones from breaking in the first place. There will always be that actor who sweats out a microphone once in a while, or an RF hit on an odd night, but you can definitely minimize your issues with a few steps.

First, fresh batteries in every microphone every night.
Second, once the fresh batteries are on, take your microphones to FOH and crack each channel open at the console to make sure the microphone is working. Play with the connector and the entire wire on the element to make sure there are no shorts in the microphone connection
Third, reinforce every microphones strain relief if at all possible. Some manufacturers microphones come with better strain relief systems than others. For example DPA's microphones typical point of failure is right at the connector, while Countryman's point of failure is right behind the ear on the ones that have the removable bit up there.

When a microphone does drop during a show, figure out what the issue is. Did the actor sweat out? Can blowing the mic out with some canned air fix the problem in a quick manner? Is there a short in the microphone? RF Hits? Once you go through a few bad mics you'll learn how to assess the situation quickly. If it's an RF issue, you know to simply swap the transmitter. If it's a short in the connector you know to just swap the microphone element. If it's sweat, the first thing I'd do is to blast it with some air, if that's no good then replace the entire element.

If RF hits are a repeat thing over many nights, especially in a stationary show, you need to look at a re-evaluation of your wireless coordination, and perhaps call a service or purchase a license to something like IAS and find out how to get intermod to a minimum.

For getting actors attention -- do the actors not exit stage at regular intervals during this show? If the scenes are short enough, I typically mute the channel and ride out the scene, trying to cross-mic if the scene permits. If you have a play like A Chorus Line, where you have 45 minutes of not a single entrance or exit, that's a bit harder...the method I have used before is a large Dry Erase Board, you write the name of the actor who needs to be swapped, and you stand in the wing in their line of sight. When they see it, they know to make a graceful exit. The other method I use (if you know your show fairly well), is to have an actor about to enter deliver the message to whoever has to exit and get a mic swap.

I would strongly persuade you to NOT even consider using the laser suggestion. If you want to be responsible for blinding someone, that's on you.

Knowing what exactly is wrong on your setup will greatly reduce the time it takes to fix things -- especially if it's just a transmitter swap. An element swap always takes a lot longer, especially if you have it pinned through a hairline. If I only have 30 seconds to swap a mic and it's mounted under a wing/through a hairline/etc I have a quick pack prepared, I find the transmitter, unplug the old mic and let it hang, and have a new mic with an elastic band halo and simply slap that on an actors head, plug in the mic, and send them on their way. I'll clean up their entire setup the next time they are offstage.

Thanks so much! This is really great, we certainly do everything we can to prevent it happening although the idea of writing their name on the dry erase board is very good. I'll speak to the sound designer about that.
Thanks again!

This is without question one of the hardest things to do during a show. Ideally you've had the pre-production discussion with your cast and they know what the contingency plan is in the case of a failed mic. They know exactly where the replacement will be and when they have time in the script to retrieve it. But that really just comes down to performance saviness. They need to be able to recognize that they no longer sound the same in the house without the PA and break off to go get the back-up. It could also be another actor simply delivers it to them on stage. Remember, audiences will tolerate an obvious mic hand off during a show MUCH better than they will tolerate a 10-20 minute long scene without properly hearing a lead. Plus it's a panto, you have some room for actor ad-libbing to help you quickly swap rigs on another actor.

Yes, you're right about it being Panto! I also like the idea of having an actor deliver it on stage.

fresh batteries before every show seems like the easier solution. On stage I think it is pretty unlikely that the actor will see a red dot moving around on them, while everybody else watching that person will see it.

I agree, probably won't use the laser idea...
We always use fresh batteries too :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back