Alternative lamps?

My school district has been buying the #FLK - 575 watt lamps for our ellipsoidals since before I've been working here, and I just cannot get decent life out of them. What's a good - cost-effective - replacement?

What Derek said.
The FLK was a breakthrough product in its day, but it is so physically fragile. You will be much happier with the lamps he suggested.

Not asked about just not getting a good lamp life out of the FLK lamps is details of the use. A perfectly good lamp installd into a bad lamp socket will probably last 100 expected lamp hours less than the lamp installed in it before. Condition of the lights and especially lamp sockets would limit the lamp hours on any even modern lamps installed. Are these good lamp sockets installed in when failied? What do the pins of the failed lamp look like will indicate what the lamp socket is like in working with a new lamp.

FLK lamp is for the most part opsolete, but good that someone in the program in the past was aware of improvements to lamps back in the 90's so as to get the theater program up to the 575w/115v world in output. This as opposed to those still using many other less efficient lamps during this time.

Better lamps, GLA/GLC and more, more details.

My school district has been buying the #FLK - 575 watt lamps for our ellipsoidals since before I've been working here, and I just cannot get decent life out of them. What's a good - cost-effective - replacement?

I can vouch for the GLA's....they were also the "lamp we just kept buying" when I took over our space. Ellipsoidal lamp failures aren't noticeably common for us and the lamps are cheap enough. I'm experimenting with GLE's now on some of our fixtures (Altmans) with low saturation gels...

Agreed. GLC is the perfect replacement for the FLK with the same avg. rated life, same coil box dimensions & LCL, same lumens, wattage, and voltage. The C-13D coil is MUCH more robust than the CC8 of the FLK and will handle bumps better without breaking. GLA is the long life version (equivalent to the FLK/X or long life FLK).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back