College Alternative to Masters in Entertainment Technology

chaostic

Hello,

Looking for some well intentioned advice on furthering my education and career path. I completed a Bachelors in Theatre Arts (Directing emphasis) with a minors in Business in 2008. I have over 20 years of IT and technology experience. When I completed my degree I was looking to build up a portfolio to apply for an Entertainment Technology Master's program at UNLV, Full Sail University (yeah, well it was an option) or Carnegie Mellon. At this point Carnegie Mellon is the only one offering an Entertainment Technology master's. Funny how life (Marriage,divorce and a 4 yr old) can play havoc with well intentioned plans.

Looking to get back on track. I am not a youngling, just turned 38. Carnegie Mellon is not cheap or easy to gain admittance. It may still be an option but I need to get a portfolio together first.

Am open to any well intentioned advice but would be interested in advice on the following:
What are new technologies that are coming or wanting in theater? I have many years of experience in ensuring technology performs its function reliability and overcoming its engineered limitations. I would like to put this to use in theater and entertainment.

I find Boise to have a good theater community but opportunities are few due to the size of the community. Working in theater appears to be a well earned privilege, not an opportunity. This seems adversarial to me (2 enter, only 1 will leave). Would being in a bigger city (Denver, Seattle, Austin, Dallas, Raliegh-Durham, etc.) be of any value or do I just need to knuckle down and "take my lumps"..?

If so what should I be vying for to get more creative freedom to implement new technologies? What opportunities should I focus on for a chance to implement new technologies artistically? (If I see another Logo splash screen from a projector I sometimes think I may lose it.)

What half steps should I focus on in building a portfolio in theatre with a focus on implementing new technologies? I am currently working on a few projects as producer and director if you will but I would like to find some things I can collaborate on in a more traditional theatre model.

Advice appreciated.

-Andrew

What do you actually want to do with this degree? If you want to just play with new toys, go start working at a shop or go work for a large producing organization. Either way, odds are the degree will not help you. The new stuff is all happening in large scale touring and a bit of Broadway. The concert industry does not care about degrees. Your best bet is to start working and getting a resume going. It is not easy to get to where you want to go. Your going to have to figure out how to navigate jobs to do it... and there are many paths.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I agree; it really depends on what your career aspirations are in the long run. Most people who peruse a masters degree in some form of theatre are looking to do one of two things. The first is to be properly credentialed to teach at a college or university. The second is to develop a portfolio, experiences, and contacts to pursue high end design opportunities in their field (Broadway, Off Broadway, large corporate design firms, West End, etc.). If you are not looking to pursue either of these options, I would really think about the cost vs. benefit such a program.

I really think relocating to a hub of major entertainment would be helpful if designing is what you wish to do. Places like New York, California will likely have vastly more potential opportunities for you. If you are really interested in working in emerging technologies in the industry, this is where they they will be more plentiful.*

With your BA having a Directing emphasis, your long standing IT experiences, and your most recent work being in directing and producing, I would say you really want to start to focus in more on what you want to pursue long term. Based on what you list now on paper, you are sort of all over the place. No doubt this was to be able to pay the bills and to help balance your personal life events (which we all fight with in this field). The totality of your experiences to date will certainly help you, but really drilling down to exactly what you want to do for the next thirty to forty years in your profession will dictate what you need to do as next step.

~Dave

Last edited:
Thanks for your responses!

My personal journey has always been finding a balance between creativity and getting things done. For me ideas are relatively easy, finding something to do with them more difficult. IT has always provided me with an effective (and relatively well paying) day job but I have a love of theater with both the team work aspects and wowing the audience with story telling.

In both Tech Theater and also Dramaturgy I found myself entranced by the conundrum's that technology caused for not only logistics but telling the story. At what point does the set become a character in the play? Does that mean the stage manager now has a role to play? Do they always have a role to play with the timing of the cues? With automation why haven't we combined the light board and the sound board to a station allowing for the stage manager to simply go from cue to cue? Every play I was lightboard OP I was literally just there to hit the cue button because the LD was adept at (Oddly I just performed a search to revisit that and I see Harman (UK) has a model that combines both. At the time I looked at combining a PC workstation with DMX and the ability to play sound effects on cue.) In "Harvey" the set has a character with door openings and other hijinx. As a director we decide the tenor of that "presence" but as the play's become more complex and contemporary how is that handled? Are we going to have a breakthrough like Andy Serkis with CG and Motion Capture?

A Master's in Entertainment Technology looked like a good avenue as a starting place to investigate these questions and find an avenue to implement them. (<JOKE>) I realize that theater folks are complete embracing of the latest technologies and yet... (</JOKE>) But there is wisdom in this. You don't want new tech fail you when a stage hand hidden in the rafter's can pull a string and ensure the effect will be carried off correctly.

In 2007 one of BSU's plays ended up going to Central Washington University (Ellensburg) and I ended talking with one of the judge's for the Technical Theater competitions. Myself and another student were asking questions on which direction, she was interested in Sound. His response was that her interest was just learning to walk, my interest was just crawling out the mud but eagerly awaited. So to ask the question another way, how do I get out of the mud...?

I think that's the tough thing here is making the case that what I can provide is worthwhile and have a place. In my IT experience if you don't have it, you make it. Engineering and fabrication are getting cheaper every day (minute?). LED's have the potential to lower the energy and logistics in providing lighting. Servo's and automation are getting cheaper and easier to use but how best to implement them? Is there such a thing as Technical Theater R&D? If so where does it live? Is that all with the vendors or do? Where do techies sandbox their ideas?

This conversation may take on a different aspect than career development but I would love to discuss this. Feel free to recommend (anyone...? Bueller?) to a more appropriate forum for this discussion.

One response was designing. Being in an entertainment hub (West Coast, LA or East Coast, Broadway) would definitely be better but yet they are not up for taking risks. I know one of the tried and true practices is to run the play in Chicago before opening in Broadway. Is there a place from which these new ideas spring or do they find their vehicle in a director? Is Technical Director the most appropriate title or are there any new positions or roles, like a dramaturg was once upon a time?

I am not opposed to working in big theater or productions but I am doubtful they will want to take risks (if any production would) on trying out new technology or having new technology fabricated from scratch. I haven't worked for any big firm that didn't want the security of a support contract and 1-800 number to call for help.

In the end I may have to carve out my own niche as producer/director but I was curious if what I have to offer has a place and a name in the theater industry yet. In movies Industrial Light and Magic was created for the need of the director (Lucas). James Cameron as producer/director similarly created tech to tell the stories he wanted to tell. Perhaps in the end analysis that same avenue is the best, perhaps only, way.

Thanks again for your response!

-Andrew

After reading this, it sounds like you might be equally well served starting your own theatre organization with like minded individuals to create the more risky artistic adventures in technology you seek. I think your combination of skills might lend itself well to such an arrangement. In this case, your location become a little bit less of an issue. It would be all about developing an audience for your work and exploring new things. Although I still think a larger city would provide a better chance of success, generally speaking. The major potential downside I could see is this is that, often times, use of new technologies comes with a hefty price tag that smaller organizations have difficulty justifying. Although, this does not necessarily have to be true, and can be part of the challenge as well.

~Dave

I would suggest talking to folks like the team at 3LD or Mark Conglio of TroikaTronix. There are all sorts of individuals and groups around the world working on creating technology to meet their own artistic needs. The key is figuring out what you have to offer beyond your obvious passion and then finding or creating a group that is a good match. The biggest unanswered question that I have is whether you have artistic visions that you want to develop tools to fulfill because they don't currently exist or are you primarily interested in helping to develop new technologies to help realize others' previously unrealizable visions?

The part of the industry most interested in having technology tell their story is that part of the industry that forgoes other means of communication. In other words, dance, acrobatics, magic, and theme parks (to some extent) are those most clamoring for something new. The university environment really does give you the opportunities to explore something different, and some large production companies will even partner with specific universities such as Carnegie-Mellon. There are some productions which will take the risk on alpha or beta level technology (did you see The Ring trilogy put on by the Metropolitan Opera?). On the other hand, that risk can be disasterous (read up on Spider Man, Turn Off The Dark). But several dance companies are often experimenting with projection/automation as ways to augment their story telling. The challenge is that they often can't pay much, but they will really work your mind to come up with something amazing.

It sounds like you may need to branch out and see more of a variety of productions. The larger the production, the less they want to blend departments due to a higher risk of failure. There are shows that are run off of show control timelines, but that will be found more in your theme park/cruise ship spectacular type of shows. Dinner theaters will often have a main technician who will be operating lights/sound/projection all at once. So they might be more willing to look into combined control that is easy to use. You will find companies who are hiring more entry level technicians will be more likely to use established technology (with the 800 number support line). The companies who look for more experienced technicians and pay better will be more likely to take the risk, because they expect the experienced technicians to get them out of any jam.

You also may want to look into the corporate staging environment. While most everything is the same old thing, there are also opportunities for that company that wants something new and spectacular to push their product. If you can live with the mundane day to day, you may have a chance to really push the envelop and impress someone.

There is no one sandbox. This forum will grant you the opportunity to bounce your ideas off of a variety of individuals from all over the world with a great variety of experience. There are other forums out there that will offer variances, including those who specialize in one topic or another.

=
Is there such a thing as Technical Theater R&D? If so where does it live? Is that all with the vendors or do? Where do techies sandbox their ideas?

First, techies sandbox their ideas in middle school... because techies don't exist outside of middle school.

Second, I have one of these places in my backyard.... Experimental Media and Performing Arts Center (EMPAC)

It is basicly a program that brings together some of the best engineering talent in the country and some of the craziest artists you can imagine. Want to fly a person in 3 dimenstions while having them act like they are living in a vertical world... did that. Want to have a play happening in two locations with two different audiences where the actors in the 2 locations react to each other... did that.

Vectors of Research—Circles of Art
EMPAC—The Curtis R. Priem Experimental Media and Performing Arts Center—is where the arts, sciences, and technology interact with and influence each other by using the same facilities, technologies, and by breathing the same air.

EMPAC is dedicated to building bridges between our human senses, to modes of perception and experience, to creating meaning in a physical environment, and to the intangible world of digital technology.

Four discrete venues are designed with unique technical infrastructure to enable you, our audience, to see, hear, and move in space in endlessly different ways. We host artists and researchers to create new work and present events which ask you to join the quest for new perspectives

From a posting on the SML:
Brian Russell
Motion FX Manager
Bill Ferrell Co.
10556 Keswick St..
Sun Valley, CA. 91352
Phone- 818-767-1900
Fax- 818-767-2901
[email protected]

Job Description:
Bill Ferrell Co. seeks a Lead Fabricator / Motion FX Technician to join =
our team. BFC is a Los Angeles area mid-size shop that specializes in =
rental and custom built Motion effects and staging primarily for the =
television and special events markets.=20
We are currently looking for someone to lead our fabrication shop in =
building turntables, lifts, winch effects, control systems, stages and =
scenery. This position will also assist our Motion FX manager in =
developing, maintaining, installing and troubleshooting our mechanical =
and motion effects. Applicants must have outstanding problem solving, =
communication and organizational skills. Mechanical aptitude, metal =
shop, electrical, AutoCAD and Microsoft Office skills are required. =
Machine shop, hydraulics, electronics and rigging skills are a plus.=20
Position will be full time with benefits and can start immediately. Pay =
range will be $22 - $28 an hour depending on experience. Resumes to =
[email protected].
chaostic, is this the type of position you're seeking, either now or after more schooling?

DaveySimps:
That’s the niche I am looking at actually. When consumer technology gets cheap and reliable enough to be used in theater, professional or on a shoe string budget (not that they are mutually exclusive… ;-)
What would be intriguing is when 3d fabrication and design gets even cheaper and what point will small/regional theater's use them? What role could outsourcing play in theater?

Metti:
I will look up those companies and get more information.

Ruinexplorer:
Cruise ships. Awesome! Will add that to my list to research.
Some of the projects I am looking at could be re-worked for corporate events. May be some budget dollars I could go after.
As far as forums, I like controlbooth I just wasn’t sure if “Education and CareerDevelopment” was the appropriate place to post this if the conversation continued. If this conversation continues on what technology small theater’s need or… etc.. I wasn’t sure where that would go.
I am finding this forum and these responses AWESOME!
Footer:
Well played, sir. ;-)
EMPAC Looks AWESOME! I wish there was something more regional but something like a theater technology wonderland that would be well funded isn’t going to be found in the middle of nowhere. Would you happen to know of any other similar institutions internationally?

Josh88:
Unfortunately my son takes precedence and with current custody discussions I will be here in Boise and the Northwest for awhile… Further away from the East Coast than I probably should….

The more I think about it the role of producer/director is probably the best route. The best way is to prove what can been done by making it successful.

Thanks for all your responses!

I am thinking I may pick one of the forums on controlbooth (open to suggestions) to through out a gadget or technology idea to see if it would be viable and brainstorm how to make it or use it. Or if it already exists.

Happy Holidays!

-Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back