Conventional Fixtures Altman 1000 followspot operation/questions

Cattled is rhyming slang. You always omit the rhyming word. So here the rhyming expression is "cattle truck" which rhymes with ...

Another expression regularly met might be "it's a bit pony" (pony and trap).
Hockey puck?

What cattle do on their own time is not my business... ;)

So many words above... FEL lamp with replaced, but the lamp sockt in need of replacement? Some posts above answer to do so. By the way don't re-use the lamp installed in a bad lamp socket or you could destroy the new lamp socket. What lamp/s were in use with a bad lamp socket are best to get rid of

More a question of education of the classic concept of putting a perfectly good lamp into a perfectly bad lamp socket.

If it's an FEL source, leaving it burning is just using up lamp hours. Shut it down whenever prudent - like, if it's not going to be used in the next 10 minutes or so. Less, if the on/off cycles aren't going to be distracting for nearby patrons.

The "leave it on" mentality doesn't typically apply to non-metal arc sources, which do take time to stabilize and which do lose multiple lamp hours per lamp ignition.

Also, you might want to try using an GLC lamp in place of the FEL. Similar output but lower wattage, similar cost, slightly less heat going through your consumables, and a more compact and efficient filament.

Average 1,000w/120v FEL lamp 3,200°K/27,500 Lumen/300h
Average 575w/115v GLC lamp 3,200°K/15,500 Lumen/400h

Agree with the above about most. have not tried GLC.

GLE/HX-755 might be a better option.
Average 750w/115v GLE lamp 3,050°K/17,400L/1,500h

I have notes of a lot of lamps, probably well discontinued such as the HX-800 or others in the 750-1.2Kw range. Smallr filament doesn't always help if fixture has a big old hole in it's center of the reflector. Altman 1000 verses Altman 1000Q is a big detail for upgrade.

My recommendation if one wants to max out this followspot is the JCV 120v-1200wCH Ushio #1000972 if still available. 33,000 Lum 200hr.

The most efficient lamp for output/color temp./lamp life if you don't want to increase or decrease output... in really by way of serching... this is still the FEL for this follow spot. Smaller filaments in point source of light do not always equal more actual output given other factors such as an internal lamp reflector adding as told 15% more lamp efficiency.

The Philips line of #6981P lamps designed for the VL-1KD fixtures are also more powerful than even the GLE lamp.
750w/115v, 3,200°K 20,500 Lum 300hr.

Stick with the FEL.

FYI, as a followup, this light made it through the entire show run with no issues. Thanks for all the advice.

Did notice it's missing a few gels -- any recommendations on replacements?

Wait -- or did they come factory with empty holders? I don't wanna think.... :)
Empty. Filled at LD's discretion and Preference.

Empty. Filled at LD's discretion and Preference.
I'm not to sure about that, @Van. At least with the Altmans.
The post above has been moved here from another thread.

I don't think there can be such a thing as stock followspot color, as color choice is so show-dependent. I think one has to have one color that blends with the rest of the rig. In an incandescent followspot, that could be the same R02 or R33 that is in the frontlight, or it could be N/C.
The Altman AltSpot and NASA-related fixtures came thusly:
Red handle - Lux 26
Green handle - Lux 89
Blue handle - Lux 67
Purple handle - Lux 52
Yellow handle - Lux 12
Pink handle - Lux 31

Users who are viewing this thread

Back