Altman 360Q on steroids?

Scenemaster60

Not too long ago, I was snooping in a place where I didn't belong and came across a set of 6 ellipsoidal spotlights that looked like an Altman 360Q that had been introduced to steroids!

I can't say for sure that they were an Altman product, but the lamp burner looked exactly like the 360Q burner from the early years, the rest of the fixture was very 360q-ish, but BIG. The lens had to be at least a 10" if not a 12". These suckers were at least 2' to 3' tall.

I wish I had snapped a pic with my phone, but alas, I didn't.

Can anyone tell me what I saw?

I've seen what your talking about. I don't remember who made it though. A broadway tour, I think it was Miss Saigon carried a pair of them. They were used as spotlights on the stage for a number. They were on rolling stands and would get rolled out by a local in a navy costume to spot the leads.

I've seen what your talking about. I don't remember who made it though. A broadway tour, I think it was Miss Saigon carried a pair of them. They were used as spotlights on the stage for a number. They were on rolling stands and would get rolled out by a local in a navy costume to spot the leads.

You're thinking of the south pacific tour. Those were strand lekolite 8x13's I believe.

Altman had a few larger than 6" Leko's with the stock lamp cap. http://www.altmanstagelighting.com/altman-discontinued-items.htm . Looking tonight showed me there was more than I knew of in them having updated their listing. I have a #366. Still trying to get a sample of a different one I don't have but also think Altman out of the Toyota Park in Tinley Park IL. Photometrics Handbook would also have many of them and other brands shown. L&E and Hub also used similar lamp caps. Think most domestic brands that lasted to the turn of the century had a copy by the 70's of the Altman cap.

I also don't have photos but this reminds me to attempt to get one again while working on some follow spots for the company that runs that place. By the way, were these spots radial or axial?

Did it look like this? I believe the sticker is marked as a Model 3500.

Attachments

• 20150605_123847 copy.jpg
    20150605_123847 copy.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 282

Attachments

• 3300.pdf
    76.2 KB · Views: 173
Yup, that's the light I saw! At least it's part of the same series.
According to Altman, the 3500 used a 10x15 stepped lens.
I think what I saw was actually a 3600 which according to Altman used a 12x18 stepped lens.

Does anyone have the spec sheets on this series of lights?
Altman has them listed on their discontinued products webpage but the link to the document itself doesn't work.
I contacted Altman customer service and they told me that they couldn't help me with anything that was that old.

Does anyone have the spec sheets on this series of lights?
Altman has them listed on their discontinued products webpage but the link to the document itself doesn't work.
I contacted Altman customer service and they told me that they couldn't help me with anything that was that old.
In my experience Altman customer service can't help you with anything, regardless of how old it is...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back