Altman Shakespeares RIP?

Chris Chapman

My facility has 60+ Shakespeares for our ellipsodial of choice (ahem). I need to add some more instruments for a new FOH application and since I'm have a TON of Shakespeare Optics, I was going to order some more. But NOW it looks like Altman only makes the Shakespeare Zooms, switching the line over to the new Phoenix instruments which doesn't look like it has compatible lens tubes. So are all of these Shakespears orphaned? Tomorrow I'm going to call my local supplier and BMI and see what the deal is. Is it too late to try to get close out deals on Shakespeares?

If you were to buy the the Phoenix fixtures, your existing Shakespeare lens tubes are compatible with the Phoenix luminaries. So if you got the new Altman lights, you can have your choice between new Phoenix optics or your Shakespeare optics. I just don't think you can use Phoenix optics in a Shakespeare (but I doubt that would be an issue).

Pay attention around 1:50:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've heard that they will accept Source Four tubes as well.

I've seen a few Shakespeares on eBay for decent prices lately as well. Just run a search for "altman light".

This video, featuring our very own dgourley, goes in to more detail about the Phoenix line including more in-depth explanation of the lens tubes (3:17).

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in altmans rental shop today... they have racks of them that are probably looking for a new home...

On a side note, it is rather odd to rent source fours from altman....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

We have had 70 + Phoenix's for a little over a year now replacing Shakespeare's. It was a budget driven decision. Numerous problems and no substantial help from Altman. 750W HPL will overheat so forget that idea. You have to cut off the stem to use it. Optics are good. Ours were delivered with rubber cushions inside which were taped in place. They fell out almost immediately causing smoke and other alarming issues. I have had three reflectors crack so far and we don't reset too much in our house. The gel frame fold over covers are held on with one tach weld which will break off if you sneeze at it. Not good in overhead positions. The rotating body is dangerous, just look carefully at the way it is manufactured. Altman said they wanted us to really be happy we purchased these. Sorry we are stuck with them ...for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back