Design American vs. English Electrical Sockets

dps

Hi guys,

I'm a bit of a newbie to the site, so don't be too harsh!

So I am working as Prod LX on a show in London and the play is set in an American household. The designers want to use American plugs and sockets to power the practical household lamps that are onstage. However, being in London, we have a different voltage to you American guys, so I was wondering how I would get around this?

We're mounting the sockets into fake walls, and we do need the lanterns to be dimmable. So presumably I'd need a transformer coming from a normal 15a dimmer? I'm just looking for some confirmation or maybe some advice to make sure I'm on the right lines...

Would really appreciate the help!

Watch out with transformers on dimmers! Because transformers are rated on a sine wave, your voltages may be way off when you put through a reverse sawtooth waveform from a dimmer!

I would use the NEMA 6-15R 240v duplex outlet (horizontal blades instead of vertical) and use a label sticker with vertical blades drawn on it to hide it on unused outlets.

NEMA 6-15R
proxy.php

Last edited:
Taking JD's thought one step further, you could use your usual receptacle and glue a picture of a NEMA L5 socket over the unused socket. I doubt the audience would know it was fake without getting real close.

Ok, I'm not sure I've explained it right...

On the set, I'm going to be using American sockets on the lamps and putting American sockets on the fake walls, so that it looks vaguely authentic. Behind the fake wall, I have to wire it in such a way that it'll take the English dimmer power I'm putting through it.

Does that make sense?

Ok, I'm not sure I've explained it right...

On the set, I'm going to be using American sockets on the lamps and putting American sockets on the fake walls, so that it looks vaguely authentic. Behind the fake wall, I have to wire it in such a way that it'll take the English dimmer power I'm putting through it.

Does that make sense?

Yes, but I don't think you can do that. Dimmers put out a reverse sawtooth wave as opposed to a sine wave. Most step down transformers or any electronic equipment or motors cannot be operated on a dimmer for this reason. So your kinda stuck with 250 volt sockets and finding a way to camouflage them.

Last edited:
Does that make sense?

I think we're all thinking the same thing which is why we are asking why can't you just use your traditional sockets on your lamp so you don't have to change them? Wire everything the way you are used to and once you plug it in you're good to go (unless you unplug the lamp at some point) keep your practicals wired the same and just mock up everything else.

For the others that have nothing plugged into just cover it with a picture of the American socket on any that aren't physically used and don't need to be wired. OR use American sockets on the others but don't wire them. A receptacle with a lamp plugged in will look virtually the same to an audience. It sounds like you're making it harder than it needs to be.

Edit: faster responses

you cannot use a north american plug and socket for either 120Vac or 240Vac in the U.K. unless you want to contravene the IET Wiring Regulations. This is the equivalent of using a U.K. plug and socket in the U.S. and Canada. The only practical way to use the plug and socket is for a low voltage and even that gets tricky because the contacts are only ac rated so you could use 12Vac but you still have the problem of how to do this on a dimmer. even then you have to get Health and safety people to sign off on the risk assessment.

Last edited:
How about this- Use the US 15 amp plugs and lamp cords but only as props. Hide the real wiring that powers the lamps.

Whatever you do end up doing... I would not run any power through a american "edison" outlet in the UK. The reason you don't use that connector over there is because it is a terrible connector. If you get any type of inspection your going to get shut down. The face you can expose brass and still have power running through it plus the non-fuse thing will throw most inspectors through the roof.

I would tell your designer to deal... your audience won't notice or care. It is not worth getting the show shut down over.

I think you guys are over thinking it. Are these practicals (floor lamps, wall sconces and such?) if that's the case just throw an English bulb in the fixture and wire it up. A connector could care less what voltage/hertz it sees as long as its within the limitations of amperage.

Yeah, they're just normal standing lamps and bedside lamps as far as I'm aware. The bulb will only be 100w max, and with 240v the amps only calculate as 0.416a. Would that be OK?

Is this hard to actually wire up? No.

Will any safety inspector allow it? No.

There's a reason the NEMA 5-15 doesn't exist in the UK. Us American's just like to live dangerously. :dance:

Us American's just like to live dangerously. :dance:

Yea, I've been meaning to change that NEMA 5-15 that I've been using to feed my 30 amp 240 volt air conditioner, but all my pryo supplies are stacked in the way, and I'd have to move my ammo cases to get to them. Besides, I haven't smelled anything burning all winter.

In a detail the audience will probably never notice, why not keep it simple and what you normally use? This an important detail about the show what sort of outlet? If not why this detail or not let the show house for setting in your voltage concept get it done?

Not seeing a need to be this accurate for anything that will probably never be noticed.

In a detail the audience will probably never notice, why not keep it simple and what you normally use? This an important detail about the show what sort of outlet? If not why this detail or not let the show house for setting in your voltage concept get it done?

Not seeing a need to be this accurate for anything that will probably never be noticed.

I totally agree with this. This is theater where a lot of creative license applies. It's not like your trying to recreate something for a museum. And in all likely hood most patrons won't even know for sure what an American plug looks like. And for those few that notice they won't care. It could also get expensive when you consider shipping everything over from the US.

I don't know. Those type of details drive me nuts when they are wrong! I still say, use the US plugs as props and hide the real way the lamps are powered.

As per when I got in some Soco testers last week with keyway up instead of down.... get over it in being requested and useful and we will spin the head with time. Drive me nut's... get over it and watch the play. General audience really going to know what is in use given good talent?

Yea, 125v outlets unsafe with 230v power, but if above any beyond that... unsafe in how we wire stuff... thems fighting words in that any PowerCon plugs we get with new fixtures are about 1/4 turn too loose in Euro type tension. Can we both say that nothing bought from another is correct until we inspect it as per a concept in I didn't wire it so I don't trust it. 5-15 NEMA outlets are no less dangerous than any other outlet. On the other hand are not for your voltage and your audience won't notice if paying attention to the show. Paying attention to the outlets.... that's the least of your problems.

If I ever go to England, I in seeing a show won't be considering the accuracy of the outlets. Might be a boring show and I might look at the gel colors marked above, but I would accept outlet standards for where I am. That and for anyone using the Schuko type plug... sorry for you in the worst plug ever invented in wiring it experience with it. That Euro plug type really, really sucks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back