Analog user seeking simple digital board

I didn't know BE made software now...

Anyway, I'm kind of in the LS9 camp too. It's fairly easy to use (though no digital board is as easy as analog plus racks!), lightweight and well-known so you'll be able to get support. It also sounds like it's right around your price range. I'd go for the 32 channel though, it's a bit more pricey up front but you won't regret the extra real estate later on.

It all depends on what you want, what you need, and what you can (and are willing to) pay.

If 24 channels will do, the Presonus StudioLive 24 is the simplest to operate, and is a pretty nice board. Some feel that it sounds better than the LS9. Recording is easy (18 tracks max I think?). Does not save headamp settings. $2700.

32 channels: O1V96 with preamps. Fewer auxes, but more features. Does not save headamp settings. ?

32 channels: Linked StudioLive 16s. Not as good as the 24 though (auxes, EQ, gates). Still limited to 18 tracks I think. $3600?

32 ch: LS9: A lot of money, but much more fully featured. Some don't like the sound. Recording is possible but takes more fiddling. Around $8300.

24-48: Roland 480: Some love it's predecessor the 400, some say it's "not pro". Make up your own mind. Recording is easy. Digital snake. More expensive than the LS9-32 by at least a couple of grand ?

24-48: Digico SD9: Other than fewer faders than the LS9-32, the only bad thing about this is the BIG cost. It has MANY advantages (incl. digital snake, multi-band comps, dynamic EQ, recording up to 52 (?) tracks. Expect to pay about $23K with a 32x16 snake.

We have mostly do anything we can get, we've worked anything from small bands, highschool/community shows, and we do rent out our equipment.
If your production company really is a business then the goal would be to maximize yoru return on investment, which is going to be primarily a factor of the potential users and their needs. You know your potential clients better than us and you wanted to minimize the learning curve so what are they familiar with or what do they usually use?

FWIW, I was serious in my earlier comments, I know someone who was at one time employed by a university and got into a big to do over their providing services for school related events. In terms of insurance and everything else I would suggest making sure the business is it's own legal entity and is operating similar to other potential providers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back