Anyone have any used old striplights they don't want?

Depends on what I get in return for them haha, I don't much like the Altman zip strips I've got

That doesn't surprise me. The Altman zip strip is blech, IMO. Thus why I ponied up the additional money for L&E mini strips. New pricing on the Altman fixture is about $100 more than the L&E, but the L&E is about $125 more used from 4 wall in the same condition

This has been my experience only...
We bought 6 of the L&E 4cir mr16's, Hate the fact that we bought them.
I have had to replace the sockets in them as they go bad(they burn out and take the lamp with it) and yes I do check to make sure they all have good contacts before use. But you would think they could work for more than a week sitting on the floor, not being touched by anyone, and have sockets burn out...So far, I am up 48+ sockets replaced in the last 4 years, So I only use them 5-6 weeks a year(switched back to my R-40's)

I did talk to a rep from the company and was told "You must not know how to install the lamp correctly" so I moved on, sort of.

Just my 1/2 a cent rant. Back to your regular scheduled program...

Sean
P.S. I wish I could give them to ya, I just dont want to make any more enemies;)

I have had to replace the sockets in them as they go bad(they burn out and take the lamp with it) and yes I do check to make sure they all have good contacts before use. But you would think they could work for more than a week sitting on the floor, not being touched by anyone, and have sockets burn out...So far, I am up 48+ sockets replaced in the last 4 years, So I only use them 5-6 weeks a year(switched back to my R-40's)

Interestingly, my university had Zip Strips, and lamps (EYC) needed to be replaced fairly regularly. I ASM'ed a production of Saroyan's The Time of Your Life, in which some cells were on for almost three hours straight for almost four weeks, and lamps were being replaced almost daily. This summer I replaced two lamps in 5 months. A theater here that used to be a smaller roadhouse (400 some seats) has L&E 6530 3 circuits that, for the three runs I've been there for, have never had a dead lamp, much less a bad socket. My friend who was their ME/Manager, and the only person to perform maintenance on equipment there, has never replaced a socket, and rarely replaced lamps. At another theater he's ME'd for quite a few years, that has Zip Strips, he has had to replace a few sockets and many lamps under comparable usage.

Your mileage WILL vary.

I did talk to a rep from the company and was told "You must not know how to install the lamp correctly" so I moved on, sort of.

I have only had bad experiences with L&E products. We have some of their CDM worklights that I loved until all our ballasts went bad after only owning them 2 years. They refused to replace them because they were past their 5 year warranty... but we only had the units 2 years. Only thing I can guess is that ballasts had been sitting on a shelf for 3 years. I was talking to a friend about this at a large theatrical dealer and he said they don't even deal with L&E anymore. He actually specifically mentioned their strips and said the cooling is awful and the sockets burn up real quick. I'll add another half cent to yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back