Anyone seen one of these? Know what it is?

Dustincoc

Came across this picture on another forum, They have no idea what it is. It's in the kitchen of a house. May be some sort of power strip, intercom/telephone, or anything else. I've seen a telephone connector that looked similar anly it had round prongs.

84285d1357429786-how-often-do-you-see-these-forumrunner_20130105_184943.jpg

I figures since a lot of people here work in old buildings and with old equipment, someone here may be able to identify it. The wall it's on is apparently coming down tomorrow and they will update then.

Never seen one nor heard of it, but, a quad receptacle in use before grounded plugs were used?

If I had to guess, I'd say it's just 4 unpolarized amd ungrounded outlets in 1 receptacle. Looks 50s ish, you said it was in a kitchen, probably a countertop convience thing, 4 outlets in the space of 2.

Edit: Double post with les! I've seen several flavors of early multi outlet receptacles in houses from the 20s-60s.

Last edited:
Yes!!! I have one in an old parts drawer. It's an Edison 4 outlet without the ground hole. There are still houses out there built in the fifties (and prior to that) wired without grounding. My dad installed one of these in the kitchen of the house I grew up in. I wonder if they still even make them ?

I wonder if they still even make them ?

Nope. All the old houses with ungrounded receptacles have largely been grandfathered* in, but they're illegal for new construction.

*When ungrounded receptacles in an older systems are replaced with newer grounding plugs, appropriate measures must be taken so as to truly ground the new receptacle(s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back