Apollo Right Arm balance question

Sayen

So...I've had a Right Arm for some time now, and I'm very aware that I have it balanced completely wrong. I have the instructions off of Apollo's website, but it just doesn't seem right. Can anyone offer any advice on hanging a standard Source 4? I've tried a couple of times, but the aim always seems wrong when the instrument is balanced per Apollo's instructions - but the instructions seem vague, and I'm not completely sure what I'm doing.

Does it actually matter if it's balanced correctly?

Have you seen the video?

Can't offer any more than that, having never used one.

EDIT: PLEASE tell me he didn't use a pair of slip-joint pliers :evil: to hold the bolt heads while he tightened the nuts with an adjustable wrench!

Also, shouldn't lockwashers, Nylocs or double nuts be used to attach the unit's yoke to the RightArm? ...(reads manual)...
From the manual, page 9:
2. Bolt the fixture’s yoke to the top of the tilt arm. There are seven
holes in the tilt arm. Use the hole that is closest to the inside
corner of the Right Arm® and allows operation of all parts of the
lighting fixtures. Use lock nuts or lock washers (not provided).
For single hole use 1/2” bolt or double hole use 3/8” bolt.
Why can't one use two 1/2" bolts?

Last edited:
Why can't one use two 1/2" bolts?

I think the two outside bolt holes on the Source Four's yoke are smaller than the center hole. Been a while since I've taken notice though, so don't quote me on this. I'm also not sure how much smaller they are, if they are.

Last edited:
You're awesome, thanks for the video. Although, at the end the S-4 isn't hanging the way they show it balanced in the book, which is where I'm having problems. Can I use the defense that the choice of pliers and lack of lockwashers makes the video suspect?

Mine is mounted on two 1/2" bolts with lockwashers, and they fit through fine. I went with two because of my deep seated paranoia of anything heavy hanging overhead.

The photograph appearing on page 12 of the Right Arm manual shows a side view of the balance angle for (in this case) a standard ETC Source Four fixture w/o scroller.
http://downloads.goapollo.com/RightArm Manual112509.pdf

If the S4 yoke/fixture body bolts are level with the main Right Arm height adjustment bolt, then the angle at which the tilt arm is adjusted will cure the problem. Since the Right Arm uses stepper motors for smooth, quiet pan and tilt the motors will work less while holding a stationary cue when the balance is correct.

Yes, I'll admit that slip pliers were used and lock washers were not. Without making excuses, though it will sound as though I am, the video series was filmed within a few short hours while Rich Dale and KC Hooper were in the office for a year-end gathering. Having worked with Rich during tradeshow booth building, he usually has two C wrenches handy, though I'm not sure why the slip pliers were chosen during the video and lock washers not included. I'll ask him-

Sayen, please let me know if you have further balancing questions once you've seen the linked Right Arm manual page. This tilt arm works very well, as long as you know it's there to take advantage of.

That's the page we were looking at, so I guess I'll just need to keep tinkering with it.

Thanks - I really appreciate the help! And unfortunately you can't search for "right" "arm" very easily.

I appreciate your time and patience Sayen, I really do.

Please call me today and I'll walk through the process with you- (800)288-4626. I live at Ext 102 or you may simply ask for me, as I'm the only Keith here at Apollo.

Thanks again, and let's get this done so you may enjoy the benefits of the Right Arm in your space!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back