Apollo Scroller - Lag Issue

Greetings all. We own an inventory of 10 Apollo ColorSmart 7.25" color scrollers. Lately we've run into a few issues, some of which are directly related to the power supply (PSU150w). However, we have seen another issue, and was wondering if anyone might have experienced this or knows of a corrective measure.

Situation is, we have 5 scrollers on a single 150w power supply, which is listed as being within tolerance of the power supply. There is about 125ft total of 4-pin DMX that connects the entire sequence, and the end of the chain is properly terminated at the power supply. We know we have some weak power issues because a rapid movement of all the scrollers on the line results in at least one dropping enough power that it forces it to reset. However, lately we have seen one in the sequence start to 'lag' behind the others. If all the others are set at a specific position on the string, this one is just slightly behind, straddling a line between an earlier part of the gel string and the one it's supposed to be on. Resetting this scroller has not solved the issue. Scrollers which are after this one in the chain do not lag.

This problem could be related to just that scroller. Given the production schedule, there has been no chance to test the connection system to see if another scroller put at that specific point in the cable chain would show the same symptoms. However, I can say that this particular scroller has never shown this tendency to 'lag' like this. I can also say that I have tested all the 4-pin dmx cabling in our inventory, and have not found any resistance or shorting which might lead to bad data.

So, brainstorming. Would this likely be related to the power supply, or is this a data loss issue at the scroller itself? It should be noted that the scroller which demonstrated this issue is also the scroller most likely along the chain to reset itself in the event of a large move of all the scrollers in that chain. Given the number of upcoming shows in January and February that we are going to be using our scrollers for, any direction that can be pointed as to what might be the issue would be extremely helpful.

Thanks as always!

Turn on the frame only mode on the unit. I can't remember what it is called, but is the setting that will not let you do split frames. See if that fixes it. Otherwise, it sounds like a sensor in the unit is off and just needs to be cleaned. I want to say there is an optical eye in the unit to keep frames on target.

First, you can be sure that it's a localized problem within the fixture. I'd check to see if DIP switches #2 and #4 are in the correct mode. #2 is the step function, with up being stepped. #4 is the quiet vs. fast differentiation, and it should be consistent throughout all of your scrollers (usually down, for fast). If neither of those solve your problem, Apollo has hidden features within their units that can be inadvertently changed due to addressing. One of these is another quiet/fast setting. To reset it to its factory default, address the unit having problems to 909 with the rotary DIPs and press "test." Then set it to its proper address and press "test" again. In the unlikely even that it's still off, try the same sequence with a value of 600, which is another set of factory defaults.

If the issue still persists, remove the screw just above the bottom hinge of the unit. Open the cover, and remove the screw just to the left of the cooling fan, holding a cover plate over the first servo. Use canned air to remove any dust, and check the alignment of the optical sensors from the top: they should be parallel with each other and the edge of the circuit board. They should also be parallel to the circuit board from the side.

Not sure what else would solve it. If you still have trouble after trying everything that's been mentioned, try calling Apollo about the problem.

Last edited:
Great troubleshooting comments gang, you are certainly on the tops of your respective games!

Herr Specker, please remove the suspected scroller from it's location and swap with another in the circuit, allowing you to determine whether the issue is with the scroller itself, or perhaps the cabling/position of that particular scroller.

My direct line is (800)288-4626 ext 102, or simply call and ask for Keith. I look forward to hearing from you when you have a moment-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back