Apollo Scroller Woes (element profile, fan speed)

tknelms

I'm working with a set of Apollo Smart Color 7.25 scroller (not the smart color pro models, by the way).

Does anyone know of a profile for these units for the ETC Element? The newer model has its info in the board, but the DMX values the board outputs for it don't match up, so I end up specifying a frame and getting a hybrid of two adjacent frames.

Additionally, does anyone know about running their fans on "low," and what kind of risk that runs for the gels? (Specifically, has anyone burned through their gel while running the fans on medium or low settings?)

Thanks!

It doesn't sound like an issue with the profile. You either have a scroll with the wrong number of frames in your patch or your frame calibration is way off, more likely the former. Confirm the scroll matches the one installed in the fixture. If it does, then use the scroll calibration feature to adjust the frame alignment. Work from the highest number scroll downward.

As a rule fans should run at the highest speed that can be tolerated acoustically. The slower the fan speed the more heat can build up and shorten the life of the gel string. It is primarily an issue for deep saturated gels. Fan noise drops off dramatically so there's not much difference between running at low versus medium.

Last edited:
Something I would do as well, once you calibrate as per sk8rsdad suggests, record all frames into color palletes and then when programming use those palletes. Especially in a long-running show, it will save you the headache when one or two scrolls start to drift, just update the color pallete during dimmer check and Voila!, everything lines up again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back