Apollo to Rosco Gel Conversion Chart?

If you email or call Apollo, they also produce a handy dandy Gel Slide Converter that helps delineate corresponding gels with Rosco, Lee, and Gam. You can reference it with the Apollo gel number, but it's also backwards compatible. I've had it for a year or two, and it's been invaluable since. In my opinion, a heck of a lot easier than even looking at a chart.

Apollo Design | Contact Us

I'll try to get a pic of it later...pretty cool tool. :cool:

Keep in mind, that while the conversion may be accurate, it is still recommended that entire systems be made from only one manufacturer's color. AP6900 is comparable to R15, but tends to output considerably less green, the same between AP4450 and R69. Similarly, AP7100 is comparable to R99, but more green and blue and less saturate, while AP8310 is actually quite comparable to L106. The color conversion gels of all four brands vary greatly, with Apollo, in my opinion, appearing the most "neutral" (if a little bland) while L201 through L203 are quite green (especially with 750W HPL lamps), L200 hides its green well, but the Rosco have a bit more red/blue in them. As such, always check with a designer before you substitute a color, they may have another preference rather than the direct conversion match.

I just wanted to see what was similar. I'm designing a show where the venue stocks Rosco gel but has Apollo scrollers and gel strings and I don't have an Apollo swatchbook handy.

Do they have the Rock 'n Roll, Theater, or custom strings? Just interested.

Also, keep in mind what was said about even though colors may be listed as the same across different manufacturers, there may be slight variations in the actual color. That being said, you should be okay with the scrollers having Apollo gel with a general inventory of Rosco. As long as you keep all systems consistent across manufacturer, you really shouldn't have any problems.

In what way/position were you thinking of using the scrollers?

Last edited:
Do they have the Rock 'n Roll, Theater, or custom strings? Just interested.

Also, keep in mind what was said about even though colors may be listed as the same across different manufacturers, there may be slight variations in the actual color. That being said, you should be okay with the scrollers having Apollo gel with a general inventory of Rosco. As long as you keep all systems consistent across manufacturer, you really shouldn't have any problems.

In what way/position were you thinking of using the scrollers?

As long as the OP uses them in a single system, he will be fine. Any systems that overlap will just blend in. Or just order Apollo gel if you like the colors more than the Rosco. Banging my head against the wall the other day because someone wanted a specific company's color but wouldnt pony up the money to just order it... Had to use the converter for a while, until I beat them with it. Take your blue and be happy!

As long as the OP uses them in a single system, he will be fine. Any systems that overlap will just blend in. Or just order Apollo gel if you like the colors more than the Rosco. Banging my head against the wall the other day because someone wanted a specific company's color but wouldnt pony up the money to just order it... Had to use the converter for a while, until I beat them with it. Take your blue and be happy!

I wasn't as clear as I should have been. That's what I meant to say; as long as each system was consistent with regards to one manufacturer across that system he'd be fine. Thanks for helping me out :cool:

Like the simple conversion calculators online, it'd be great if someone could design an Android app that would give you the ability to enter a gel from a specific manufacturer and show the equivalent (roughly) gel across the other major manufacturers.

Is there anything available for the Android platform? I tried searching the App market but came up empty.

:lol::lol::lol: That made me laugh. :lol::lol::lol:

Download the .pdf linked to above, and put it on your phone.

How quaint (and archaic)! I wonder why the slide rule was replaced by the calculator? Personally, I like iSwatch.
Derek,
when they mention 'not the correct color' in the reviews, what are meaning? Is it that the iPhone isn't a 3200K device, so there is a shift.
How many swatches are in the app that are not in the Ion color swatches?

Personally, I like it when a company sends me a product for free instead of having to pay $9.99 for it! :grin:

Copy that!
The cost of WYSIWYG is why I bought VectorWorks. I know it's not the same, but I plan on buying ESP Vision this year to give me pre-vis. I'll start with one universe for $750.
All this is pretty expensive for an independent to purchase.
I sure think it would be nice to have LightWright as well, but since I don't share files with anyone, it isn't killing me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Derek,
when they mention 'not the correct color' in the reviews, what are meaning? Is it that the iPhone isn't a 3200K device, so there is a shift.
How many swatches are in the app that are not in the Ion color swatches?
Sorry, I don't have the answer to either question.

Personally, I like it when a company sends me a product for free instead of having to pay $9.99 for it! :grin:
This is the only app I've ever spent that much on, and IMHO, worth it. Anything else I'd either lose, or it wouldn't be where I needed it, when I needed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back