Aquiring Sound Inventory...

I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but if you have up to 3 vocalists, there're always good deals on Ebay for Sennheiser E835 3-packs. That'd be a good starting place for vocal mics. They're very nice mics for the money, rugged and resistant to feedback. They're the SM58 of Sennheiser's line (but no where near as legendary, of course, Senni's legendary lies in the 421).

Also, it's the SM57 that's Shure's more instrument-inclined mic. I'd recommend the Audix I5 over that if you're buying new, though.

I'm with soundlight there. The Senn E835's sound great and look great too. We just upgraded our wireless sticks from the 835's to the new G3 series with the 900 series capsule. There's a huge difference in sound quality! Definitely sings much nicer than 58's. (not knocking the 58's btw). And another vote for the I5. Love it! Here's a link to a google search for Audix i5 vs sm57. In a nutshell: People talk about the i5 being more sturdy, they say there's a 2.5db boost at 3.5k and a couple other changes. Similar, but it seems the i5 is a bit brighter and has better rejection. audix i5 vs sm57 - Google Search I've never done a comparison test between the 57 and the i5, but i can agree with the findings here.

one last opinion on the O1V. Do it! Just make sure you get the Version 2. as long as you don't mind not having recallable head amps, it's a wonderful board. We use it with LabGruppen and Danleys. Love it!

Last edited:
Also, it should be noted that I was talking about the original 01V. There's no way that the OP is going to spring for an 01V96 (V2 or VCM), even though it is a phenomenal board. The original 01V (silver board) is still a great console for the money, has decent internal effects, etc. You can find them on eBay with ADAT cards for a reasonable price all the time.

I do admit, I've only used the O1V V2, never the O1v original. Though, a friend of mine who leads up a band, bought a V2 for only $2k. They're such a small band, and really should have stuck with an analog board, but this isn't the place for that.

Flash: I could spend hours "pricing" out the cheapest system on Musicians friend. Won't ever buy any of it, but still.

yes lol if i were to buy this stuff i doubt i would buy it online

Do you have a good set of headphones?

As a live sound tech, the most important piece of personal gear I have is my in-ear monitors, which give me the ability to solo instruments and hear very clearly what each input is doing with good isolation from the racket coming out of the system.

Accurate monitoring is the tool that made the biggest difference in my ability to provide quality mixing to my clients. It is also the tool that helped me train my ears to hearing and LISTENING to things I had never paid attention to before.

Remember that you're not looking for headphones (or in-ears) that "sound good", your looking for accurate reproduction of the incoming signal.

Do you have a good set of headphones?

As a live sound tech, the most important piece of personal gear I have is my in-ear monitors, which give me the ability to solo instruments and hear very clearly what each input is doing with good isolation from the racket coming out of the system.

Accurate monitoring is the tool that made the biggest difference in my ability to provide quality mixing to my clients. It is also the tool that helped me train my ears to hearing and LISTENING to things I had never paid attention to before.

Remember that you're not looking for headphones (or in-ears) that "sound good", your looking for accurate reproduction of the incoming signal.

Yes i actually have several pair that are almost exact duplicates of what should be coming out of the mains,

The only things off of this list that I would ever even consider are the headphones, snake, and cable ties. Maybe the Horizon cables. But I like to get snakes/cables through EWI and for headphones I like Senni HD208s.

Sound equipment, like most technical equipment, is a buy once cry once sort of thing. Get it right the first time and you won't have to get it right a second time.

Also, as a note, do not buy ANYTHING that is "Musicians Gear" brand from Musicians Friend (aka Musicians Foe). You will hate yourself when stands shear off at the threads or adjustment points, cables short out and anything else that they sell just fails. It's the Musician's Friend house brand and it's the worst stuff you can buy.

I have to agree with Soundlight. I'm not sure why you'd need or even want four wireless handheld mics in such a system unless it was just to increase the odds that at least one of the fixed frequency sets would be usable, however three wired mics would be insufficient for most bands, especially if you have to mic the drums. There are no monitors (or no mains if the Kustoms are used as monitors as shown in the referenced link) and no speaker stands. No cases, rack, etc. No power distribution. No system processing of any kind. No DI boxes, adapters, etc. that are often going to be required. The mixer has only eight mono/mic inputs, which would also be insufficient for most bands. And while the $100 headphones might be nice, they might also be a bit excessive for monitoring $50 wired and $87 wireless mics playing over $95 speakers.

This is exactly why I was asking about the use, that list of gear may be just fine for someone just wanting to spend as little as possible on putting together a working system for their own use, but it is not how one would proceed if looking to have a system that would be practical, well accepted and profitable for many typical uses.

A couple of Shure SM58s, Sennheiser e835s or similar would probably be a good investment that would still be accepted and useful in many situations regardless of how much is invested in the rest of the system.

Last edited:
A couple of Shure SM58s, Sennheiser e835s or similar would probably be a good investment that would still be accepted and useful in many situations regardless of how much is invested in the rest of the system.

That's definitely my opinion here. I've certainly been converted to Sennheiser, but either mic (E835 or SM58) would be a good addition to any live sound setup, and will be with you however much you expand your system if you do. It's one of those investments that you will have around for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back