Architectural Lighting Control

zac850

Hi all,
I am involved in a project of lighting the outside of a building downtown during a crafts fair. We are hoping to be able to have an interactive lighting system set-up, so that children (and adults) can come up to the controller, and with a big graphical touch screen, touch the part of the building they want to color, and then push a button that is the color they want, magically making that portion of the building that color.

I think it makes the most sense to write an application on a computer that will fire MIDI commands to the console (not sure what console will be controlling the system) which would then either run an associated cue or macro to make the building change as required.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with setting up a control system like this? Any advice from people familiar with writing computer code that might be helpful?

Thanks everyone!

(A side-bar, I'm only interested in suggestions on the control. Fixture placement, data runs and the like will be handled later on.)

On the programming side, no... but a Vista could probably do that to some degree.

If you can already program, then Processing is probably the way to go. It has libraries to send MIDI commands. If you can't program, then Processing isn't a hard language to learn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back