Arena concert sound. What is normal?

The BBC article is spot on. For me the highlights are crowd noise, locale-based SPL limits and audience expectations.

The first 2 are hand-in-glove linked - people screaming and yelling and having full voice conversations whilst the performance is going on. The amount of noise local to an individual can easily be louder than the PA system 150 ft away (inverse square law); audiences have gotten much ruder in the last 20 years. I remember when audiences would whisper during a Bob Dylan concert, now it's a free for all. Local SPL limits mean this: the *show*, either in the form of the tour itself or the promoter is fined when SPL from the show exceeds stated limits. The police don't go after the audience because any ONE individual isn't capable of exceeding the limit but en mass they are. So the promoter or band management has to pay the fine at settlement (deducted from proceeds) if the Mixerperson turns it up to get over the audience. My boss spent 25 years mixing an international act "very popular with the 'scooter crowd'" and at one stop in northern California the SPL limit was only a couple of dB greater than the band's stage SPL. The band leader told my boss "do the regular show, that's what our fans expect." The group played the show and received only a couple hundred dollars (instead of thousands) after the fines were deducted (some magic carpet ride). Perhaps in the UK the authorities will arrest the soundman or the band, but either way it represents a compromise to the audience.

Audience expectations - a source in the article mentions ear buds and that means the audience "knows how it's supposed to sound" but I think there is little that could be further from the truth. The versions of music distributed by Apple, Google, Amazon, and presumably the streaming services as well, have 'remastered' the audio with multiband compressors to "maker everything louder than everything else." There is very little dynamic range because the loose fitting ear buds are too leaky - the result is that lower level audio is masked by ambient noise around the listener. Ditto for tonal EQ; it's been bass-enhanced because of the poor seal between the earbud and the ear canal. The result is that audience members THINK they know how something is supposed to sound, but even if they have well fitted ear buds, what they are hearing bears only a passing resemblance to what the artists and producer heard when the tracks were originally mastered. The iTunes and Google Music customers, the Amazon subscribers, the Pandora/Spotify listeners complained loudly and since these tech giants have no musical soul they consider tonal modification and extreme "normalization" to being good customer service, while it's a disservice to the performance and production of the original... but the casual listeners frankly don't care about that so from a commercial perspective, the content providers are right.

Finally there's the issue with putting on shows in sporting venues. As pointed out in the article stadia and arenas are designer to transmit and reflect sound as part of the fan experience. The multiple reflections and RT60 times are pretty much the antithesis of what is needed for amplified music but nobody is building 50k-80k capacity venues for live music, so what to do... As Frank Zappa said when opening a Mothers of Invention show with the LA Philharmonic "When you make music in a room designed for hockey, you take your chances. Hit it, Zuben!"

I don't think there is a normal. There are just way to many variables these days. We had a tough one recently in our theater. The local sound company mixed the opener and they sounded great, nice clean vocals. Then a popular country singer from 25 years ago came out and had his own FOH engineer. It sounded terrible, the overall mix was bad, the vocals were quiet and muddy. To the point that people were getting up and leaving. They were especially upset after being able to hear the opener, and then couldn't hear the headliner that they paid to see.

I don't think there is a normal. There are just way to many variables these days. We had a tough one recently in our theater. The local sound company mixed the opener and they sounded great, nice clean vocals. Then a popular country singer from 25 years ago came out and had his own FOH engineer. It sounded terrible, the overall mix was bad, the vocals were quiet and muddy. To the point that people were getting up and leaving. They were especially upset after being able to hear the opener, and then couldn't hear the headliner that they paid to see.

I call that complacency. That’s not a variable thing. Especially if the opener used the same equipment as the headliner.

I know your experience was with a large budget arena show, but I've also been to shows where the venue was far too large for the artist, but it was probably a percentage deal for rent so the artist didn't care that the balcony would go unsold.
In this case the floor area was easily covered by the touring line array, but they didn't aim anything to the balcony as they didn't intend there to be that many attendees. Balcony tickets were not blocked out by the venue and people were sitting up there for a song or two of the opening act while even though the floor wasn't anywhere close to filled.
After a couple from upstairs walked down to the bar and realized it only sounded bad upstairs and the news spread, the entire balcony emptied out.

I know your experience was with a large budget arena show, but I've also been to shows where the venue was far too large for the artist, but it was probably a percentage deal for rent so the artist didn't care that the balcony would go unsold.
In this case the floor area was easily covered by the touring line array, but they didn't aim anything to the balcony as they didn't intend there to be that many attendees. Balcony tickets were not blocked out by the venue and people were sitting up there for a song or two of the opening act while even though the floor wasn't anywhere close to filled.
After a couple from upstairs walked down to the bar and realized it only sounded bad upstairs and the news spread, the entire balcony emptied out.
I'm not sure who you're responding to, but I have some comments (imagine that!)....

One of the arenas I work in is fastidious about seat kills. The have blackout roll drops to hide the 3rd seating tier if they are not on sale. They cover (with black cloth) swaths of unsold seats on the 2nd tier and consolidate ticket buyers to the front of their sections to make it look better to the performers.

In that same venue the second singer heard on MTV (with an overly loud and major jerk husband/guitarist) played a make-good date from a tour stop that was postponed due to her illness. Because this was after the official tour run the promoter hired a regional production company (not the one I work for) for the show. The company clearly missed covering sold seats, both on the floor and most of upper part of the lower tier (upper tier not on sale). Fast forward to a festival a couple months later and that company was supplying for another stage and I went over to say hello. It was clear that for the festival, they were not properly covering the audience area. When I asked one of the company techs how they arrived at the trim height and line array box angles I was told "this is the way we always do it." Oh really? My only response was "thanks, I never knew how you all did it."

In both of those cases it's up to the headline performer's production manager and the mixerperson to make sure the PA vendor is doing the job correctly and to insist on correction prior to sound check (or doors, if it comes to that). There is no excuse for the mental laziness above but it's up to the artists crew to prevent it from compromising the audience experience.

Another arena I work in is fastidious about coverage, making sure we cover all the seats with quality audio, whether or not those seats have been pre-sold or will be occupied by walk up ticket buyers.

The other arena I work in doesn't give a horse's anus about anything but price as they are responsible for hiring production for the promoter if the tour is not carrying production. The only reason they care about coverage is if customers demand refunds (which happened when the arena cut the side hang PA from the budget one time).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back