Arena Dousers

FatherMurphy

A local arena has asked me about adding mechanical shutters to their main high bay lights (Lithonia THP 1000M) so that they can dim them for pre-game events without having to wait for them to cycle back on. I'm looking at the Payne-Sparkman LiteShades - does anyone have any experience with these, or their control system? Interfacing with DMX? Other manufacturers?

I know Wybron makes dousers, but I don't know how large you need.

A motorized barn door assembly would be kind of a 'one off' custom construction. That's why I asked how many units he would need. My shop could make them if there is enough quantity to make it reasonable.

No, I haven't. It is however a simple mechanical concept that wouldn't be hard to fabricate.

A local arena has asked me about adding mechanical shutters to their main high bay lights (Lithonia THP 1000M) so that they can dim them for pre-game events without having to wait for them to cycle back on. I'm looking at the Payne-Sparkman LiteShades - does anyone have any experience with these, or their control system? Interfacing with DMX? Other manufacturers?

Wybron has done this exact application on a large scale. There is a video on their website under "Eclipse IT Shutter".

Give them a call.

ST

Interesting effect. I wish they had shown the fixtures rather than the silly "disco dan" chases with that rodent running around though. hah.

Now the Iris on the other hand looks really awesome. Kind of Goldeneye to me.

Re: Arena Dowsers

How many fixtures will be "dimmed?"

Sounds like a motorized Barn Door assembly could do the trick.

There's 32 fixtures over the main hockey ice sheet, but they're 24" diameter pendant fixtures, so a barndoor type shutter would probably cause the light to swing when it activated (darn that action/reaction law of Newton's), unless it was a dual-door device, but that's more parts.

I found a couple other models available, including the Wybron. Payne-Sparkman is merely the first one that troubled themselves to respond to my inquiry.

I'm more interested in if anyone has experience with such units from the standpoint of known design flaws, programming glitches, lifespan, DMX interfacing issues, etc., so that I don't recommend a product that's a dud, or find myself having to invent a missing link.

I once made some 18" dual tube 90w low pressure sodium vapor wash lights out of Hubbel Sportslighter reflectors. Biggest DMX douser Wyborn offered at the time was like a 14" douser. Wasn't a problem given I made some gate reflectors for the wash lights but it did cut down some on the overall beamspread of the light.

Assuming high bay fixtures, often with plastic reflectors, what specifically is their dia? Second if plastic in reflector, you might want to plan on changing them to at least aluminum reflector so as to prevent the now heat retained from melting the reflector. Than after that, plan on adding a bit more support to the aluminum reflector so as to mount and carry the added weight of what ever you add to the front of the fixture.

In other words, as starting point, I would plan what ever you decide on from ballast mount of the reflector to it's front having to get something completely custom made.

Not sure about a barn door concept in that while a dowser will dim as it were all light output, a shutter cuts light from it's edges.

First challange than is if there is a dmx douser that will go as wide as your fixture width because otherwise your beam spread gets cut back which is a bad thing in having to add more fixtures to cover for this..

A quick search and I came up with this 24" square aluminum motorized louver system. Bigger are available.

proxy.php

One could suspend the unit from the four corners just below the fixture.

Maybe it's just my preference but I'd inquire with the people at Wybron, they've been doing shutters for a while.

As Jennifer said, I'm laid up with a bum knee, but I can still help you. We at Wybron have recently re-worked the Eclipse Iris to be more robust with fewer moving parts. We actually have a couple of options, the Eclipse I being another. I would be more than happy to get you information, videos, etc. on the various options if you would like to contact me.

Thanks for the offers, but the client ended up deciding to replace the HID fixtures with high output fluorescents, which gives them both instant on/off, and lower overall power consumption, all without changing the existing relay control system. The only thing they might have gained with a dowser was the ability to fade the light, but that's not an important issue for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back